mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I originally posted this on "Today's Finds" but I received just one response on helping me identify these coins. I greatly appreciated the response but I would like to find a more concrete identification on these. So, I was hoping by listing these French medieval silver coins on this forum I might get a better chance in pinpointing the exact origin of these.

***I found one of these medieval Gros Tournois about a month ago and I've always wanted to go back to that area because I know that when you find one coin, there's bound to be more. So me and a buddy went back out there and sure enough we found four more! Needless to say we were ecstatic after finding these 700 year old coins!
headbang.gif
Plus we found a few broken pieces of silver too.

But there is one small problem, I know these are made after the King of France but I'm not sure which one ?
dontknow.gif

At first I thought they were made in honor of King Philip IV but then after doing some research, I see that King Philip III and King Philip V had the same type of coin. At least that is from what I can tell. I'm sure there are differences but I'm not an expert in this area. Can anybody help me out and identify these coins? Thanks.

Attachments

• Obverse.gif
    Obverse.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 649
  • Reverse.gif
    Reverse.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 526

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For what it’s worth, note the spelling of the king in each instance.
Philip IV and V PhILIPPVS REX (three ‘Ps’)

Versus:

Philippe III (1270-1285)
PHILIPVS REX (two ‘Ps’)

I have no idea if that is what differentiates coins from two monarchs, but it is one difference noted.
Outter legend: BNDICTV: SIT: NOmE: DNI: nRI: DEI: IhV. XPI
Short for: benedictum sit nomen domini nostri Jesu Christi
Meaning: Blessed be the name of our lord Jesus Christ.
Don.....

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice catch Mackaydon! I did notice on one site that there are just two "P's" specifically for Philip III. But when there are three "P's", it can be for either Philip III, Philip IV or Philip V. A little confusing I must admit. I'm starting to think that as King Philip III was near the end of his reign, the French added another "P" and just continued this coinage under all three kings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread