I found a 1905 nickle yesterday

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
It's not all that rare or expensive or collectible. My question is, how do coins like these suddenly surface? They haven't been circulating all this time. Did someone break into a coin collectors stuff? Did someone really get desperate? (if this is the case why not sell at a coin shop?) Just something that I have been wondering!

Attachments

• IMG_2290 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2290 (Medium).JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 173

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be any number of reasons, another possibility is that some collectors put low value coins into circulation for people to find and hopefully interest someone in coin collecting.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people are just dumb and deposit coins because they are desperate and don't go to a coin shop.

OP
OP
S

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
Could be any number of reasons, another possibility is that some collectors put low value coins into circulation for people to find and hopefully interest someone in coin collecting.

greetings from a fellow Cutler!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not all coin shops are friendly. For example, there is one dealer who has shop here in Jacksonville. I had stopped in to get some coin storage supplies. There were 3 handguns in plain sight in different areas of the shop. I felt uncomfortable. I imagine a little old lady looking to sell her husband's collection would be terrified. Sometimes taking the coins to a bank seems like the only option to some.

Some collectors do seed circulation with low grade coins to spark an interest in young collectors. I don't think it is the case with yours.

Some children raid dad's collection to buy candy. Of course, there is the obvious of plain old thieves breaking into people's homes.

OP
OP
S

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
I don't quite buy into the seeding scenario. What are the chances of any of that actually trickling back into the actual collecor's hands that did the seeding?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't quite buy into the seeding scenario. What are the chances of any of that actually trickling back into the actual collecor's hands that did the seeding?

Yours is too nice for the seeding theory. Many collectors especially older collectors remember the enthusiasm and excitement of searching rolls to build their collections when they were young. As an ambassador of the hobby, they like to encourage young collectors by increasing the odds that these coins are discovered and added to their collections. The person's that do the seeding have no expectation of receiving the coins back.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yours is too nice for the seeding theory. Many collectors especially older collectors remember the enthusiasm and excitement of searching rolls to build their collections when they were young. As an ambassador of the hobby, they like to encourage young collectors by increasing the odds that these coins are discovered and added to their collections. The person's that do the seeding have no expectation of receiving the coins back.

Scott Travers 2006 NYC coin drop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

I've seeded. I've used old coins, I've used Silver Certificates, I love using $2 bills (since they cost me $2).

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how little the average person knows about the coins they spend these days. I guess many people simply don't care or pay attention. My wife's boss pulled a V nickel out of the cash register a few years ago when he was getting nickels for poker night. My wife will sometimes bring home a wheat or silver rosie herself on days when she works the register.

Good catch, skydog!!!

OP
OP
S

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks and on a related note, I found a '63 Washington quarter in a roll today.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people don't pay attention to there pocket change. a guy i work with at McDonald handed him a 1908 v nickel right though the drive thru just the other day. and i find silver coins here and there its basically being at the right place at the right time.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes - The right place at the right time.

people don't pay attention to there pocket change. a guy i work with at McDonald handed him a 1908 v nickel right though the drive thru just the other day. and i find silver coins here and there its basically being at the right place at the right time.
That's where Iwant to be more often...at the right place at the right time!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe he figured that at least some of the coin collectors also collected stamps and were likely to see his picture at the post office!

He didn't know the cent was rare, he had no clue it had to do with the cent.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times people think that different looking coins are foreign and they just want to get rid of them. Many years ago, I was visiting a local coin shop and a woman came in with a British half sovereign that she received in change as a nickel from the Buffalo toll booth on the NYS thruway. And, for those that don't know, that's a gold coin.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread