Congress looks at doing away with the $1 bill and talks of changing metal composition

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As seen on MSN.com this morning...:thumb_down:

"WASHINGTON (AP) - American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.

Vending machine operators have long championed the use of $1 coins because they don't jam the machines, cutting down on repair costs and lost sales. But most people don't seem to like carrying them. In the past five years, the U.S. Mint has produced 2.4 billion Presidential $1 coins. Most are stored by the Federal Reserve, and production was suspended about a year ago.

The latest projection from the Government Accountability Office on the potential savings from switching to dollar coins entirely comes as lawmakers begin exploring new ways for the government to save money by changing the money itself.

The Mint is preparing a report for Congress showing how changes in the metal content of coins could save money.

The last time the government made major metallurgical changes in U.S. coins was nearly 50 years ago when Congress directed the Mint to remove silver from dimes and quarters and to reduce its content in half dollar coins. Now, Congress is looking at new changes in response to rising prices for copper and nickel.

At a House subcommittee hearing Thursday, the focus was on two approaches:

—Moving to less expensive combinations of metals like steel, aluminum and zinc.

—Gradually taking dollar bills out the economy and replacing them with coins.

The GAO's Lorelei St. James told the House Financial Services panel it would take several years for the benefits of switching from paper bills to dollar coins to catch up with the cost of making the change. Equipment would have to be bought or overhauled and more coins would have to be produced upfront to replace bills as they are taken out of circulation.

But over the years, the savings would begin to accrue, she said, largely because a $1 coin could stay in circulation for 30 years while paper bills have to be replaced every four or five years on average.

"We continue to believe that replacing the note with a coin is likely to provide a financial benefit to the government," said St. James, who added that such a change would work only if the note was completely eliminated and the public educated about the benefits of the switch.

Even the $1 coin's most ardent supporters recognize that they haven't been popular. Philip Diehl, former director of the Mint, said there was a huge demand for the Sacagawea dollar coin when production began in 2001, but as time wore on, people stayed with what they knew best.

"We've never bitten the bullet to remove the $1 bill as every other Western economy has done," Diehl said. "If you did, it would have the same success the Canadians have had."

Beverly Lepine, chief operating officer of the Royal Canadian Mint, said her country loves its "Loonie," the nickname for the $1 coin that includes an image of a loon on the back. The switch went over so well that the country also went to a $2 coin called the "Toonie."

Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Mich., affirmed that Canadians have embraced their dollar coins. "I don't know anyone who would go back to the $1 and $2 bills," he said.

That sentiment was not shared by some of his fellow subcommittee members when it comes to the U.S. version.

Rep. Lacy Clay, D-Mo., said men don't like carrying a bunch of coins around in their pocket or in their suits. And Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., said the $1 coins have proved too hard to distinguish from quarters.

"If the people don't want it and they don't want to use it," she said, "why in the world are we even talking about changing it?"

"It's really a matter of just getting used to it," said Diehl, the former Mint director.

Several lawmakers were more intrigued with the idea of using different metal combinations in producing coins.

Rep. Steve Stivers, R-Ohio, said a penny costs more than 2 cents to make and a nickel costs more than 11 cents to make. Moving to multiplated steel for coins would save the government nearly $200 million a year, he said.

The Mint's report, which is due in mid-December, will detail the results of nearly 18 months of work exploring a variety of new metal compositions and evaluating test coins for attributes as hardness, resistance to wear, availability of raw materials and costs.

Richard Peterson, the Mint's acting director, declined to give lawmakers a summary of what will be in the report, but he said "several promising alternatives" were found.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

Pretty crazy right? Looks like now would be the time to start hoarding nickels if you are into the whole copper stacking thing, get a nice head start before the beloved 5 piece coins are made of worthless scrap metal!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again I can live with them changing the content of our coins
I could even get used to finding $1 coins more often with my detector

BUT I Will do one of 2 things myself if they switch to Dollar coins

Either ask for Halfs or quarters instead
or I'll start taking the dollars to the banks for $2.00 bills

I refuse to use those Butt ugly Dollar coins they are prodicing

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again I can live with them changing the content of our coins
I could even get used to finding $1 coins more often with my detector

BUT I Will do one of 2 things myself if they switch to Dollar coins

Either ask for Halfs or quarters instead
or I'll start taking the dollars to the banks for $2.00 bills

I refuse to use those Butt ugly Dollar coins they are prodicing

haha nice loophole, yeah I hate those dollar coins too, they look cartoony and corny.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use cash for anything anymore so it wouldn't matter to me much either way except it is easier for me to MD a dollar coin than a dollar bill!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rep. Steve Stivers, R-Ohio, said a penny costs more than 2 cents to make and a nickel costs more than 11 cents to make. Moving to multiplated steel for coins would save the government nearly $200 million a year, he said.

Uhhh... I guess they dont tell the politicians that the Federal Reserve is not owned by, controlled by, overseen by, or even entered by our government...

The Fed is privately owned, and our govt pays them interest on the money they loan to our govt... last year, we paid what, 455 billion dollars of interest to the Fed?

And Back on topic, I dont like dollar coins, unless they start putting real money back in them(silver)... Enough with the fake currency

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would prefer micro silver coins, assayed at $1.

When roll hunting, I find more rolls of $1 coins than I can shake a stick at.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one of the main problems is they are too easy to confuse with the quarter. They don't have to make them as big as the old silver dollars were but somewhere in between would be better. There also isn't a spot for them in modern coin drawers. Thing is, this could all backfire on them. Folks don't want to walk around with 8 or 10 dollar coins jingling around in their pockets so they are going to start switching them for $5 bills and wearing those out sooner than they would have been. jmho

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, imagine the strip club industry, throwing dollar coins at dancers is going to really leave a dent ;)

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhhh... I guess they dont tell the politicians that the Federal Reserve is not owned by, controlled by, overseen by, or even entered by our government...

The Fed is privately owned, and our govt pays them interest on the money they loan to our govt... last year, we paid what, 455 billion dollars of interest to the Fed?

And Back on topic, I dont like dollar coins, unless they start putting real money back in them(silver)... Enough with the fake currency

But...but...president's fault!

I think they'd get rid of the penny before they'd get rid of the dollar though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one of the main problems is they are too easy to confuse with the quarter. They don't have to make them as big as the old silver dollars were but somewhere in between would be better. There also isn't a spot for them in modern coin drawers. Thing is, this could all backfire on them. Folks don't want to walk around with 8 or 10 dollar coins jingling around in their pockets so they are going to start switching them for $5 bills and wearing those out sooner than they would have been. jmho

this is why I would switch to $2.00 bills

they will probably switch the $1 slot to hold coins, so they still won't have a spot for $2's :laughing7:

& More work for the banks :tongue3:

another option carry a coin purse & act legally blind at the registers
hold each coin close to your eyes, lay some on the counter, put others back in the purse
and pull another out , do the same,
and count everything out sloooooooooowly. with coins. Especially in long lines
on busy days :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, imagine the strip club industry, throwing dollar coins at dancers is going to really leave a dent ;)

yea insurance costs may rise, covering the marks on their.... well You Know :tongue3:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that the government even discussing saving money instead of spending even more money is a tad bit refreshing.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just think about the cost of converting all the vending machines to accept these coins, new teller trays etc. MILLLLIONSS!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
add that to what ever they make coins out of, once someone has a Contract,
Prices can & will start rising.

Just like Zinc & nickle was the cheap way to go Till they decided to make coins out of them.

they could start making Wooden Nickels & wood would Skyrocket next year
make them from plastic, the plastic industry will need $$$$ to up production

they start using steel the steel industry will have shortages :tongue3:

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the CRH forum really?? guess it depends who is involved in the conversation. not trying to piss anyboby off. just saying

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just think about the cost of converting all the vending machines to accept these coins, new teller trays etc. MILLLLIONSS!

Hate to break this to you bub, but I'd say over 90% of vending machines already take them. I know on my vending route of over 400 machines, I have maybe a dozen old, Old, OLD soda can machines that will just reject them back to you. The vending industry has been expecting this change since well before Saceqewea dollars came out in 2000. With a dozen years to prep, the dollar coins will be embraced. Worn dollar bills can jam the bill accepter, and in the process, piss off the customer that lost it, and the machine owner that lost dollar bill sales until he removes the clog. Coins rarely jam, and if they do it's 95% of the time because some idiot put a sticky/mutilated coin or non-coin object into the slot.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

That the government wouldn't have to pay. (Thus, money saving for them, but not the people that owned the machines/stores/registers, what-have-you.)

I like spending the dollar coins.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as cash registers go... put the dollar coins in the place the bills go.. or stop minting the penny completely (round cash sales to the nearest nickel) and put the dollar coins there.

Change is hard, I get it. But people will adapt when forced.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE: In the CRH forum really?? guess it depends who is involved in the conversation. not trying to piss anyboby off. just saying
If you start finding dollars in your rolls of quarters you'll probably want to tell someone. Feel free to post it here.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the CRH forum really?? guess it depends who is involved in the conversation. not trying to piss anyboby off. just saying

Yes only because It concerns the copper content in nickels that some coin roll hunters are after! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread