IDing Foreign Coins

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ID'ing Foreign Coins

Sagittarius98---remember a while back I mentioned my wife has accumulated 47 pounds of foreign coins? I wasn't kidding. Today while looking to see if she really did have a stack of real Issued Olympic Coins, (she did), I got to thinking maybe I should ID some of these coins and see what their worth might be. The oldest one I quickly looked over was a large bronze looking one dated 1755. But here comes the question, if I can't read the writing, how am I going to know what country I need to search? I can pick out the Mexican, British and other easy type coins, but, a lot of that writing might as well be from outer space. Is there a secret to ID'ing something like this? An easy web site maybe. Posting thousands of photo's is out of the question. In fact, just the thought of looking this whole mess up gives me a headache. I'm sure 95-98 percent is worthless but a lot sounded like silver when I bounced them. Plus all the old dates. Got to be worth something. Thanks.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lost,

If your local library carries the Krause line of world coin catalogs that's probably your best bet....if not perhaps a local coin club in your area could help you out.

Regards + HH

Bill

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised you don't have more reply's to your question,I use a site (that I can't remeber),I found on the web,if I remember I'll post the answer.
I'm sure if you google forein coins something should come up.

OP
OP
L

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy---You post jogged my bad memory. I found the web site you may be thinking of. Foreign Coins to Western Language, then to the country, or something like that. With pictures and ID numbers and another site to enter the ID number to get the estimated value. This was what I was asking S98 for. I had earlier looked at dozens of sites but nothing as easy as this one. Now all I need is a couple thousand hours to go through this mess. Thank you Sir.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Numista is what I use. I'm us there are some goodies in there! One of my favorite things is going through huge jars of foreign and American coins!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just type the approximate lettering if possible.

For example, you could type in 50 AENTA, and I would know what the coin is :

c41685_a.jpg

Otherwise, use WCG:

Identifying Foreign Coins

The values of the page aren't ideal, just because of key dates and stuff. Just buy the Krause books. A used one is like 8 or 10 dollars, so maybe 30 or so dollars (not a big investment, and it could pay for itself when you find one of them is an equivalent of a 1916-D merc). You don't really need the 2013 books (unless you wan't to pay $50/each). Although teh values do change, it's not like some coin is worth $6 in 2005, and then in 2013 it's worth $600. The biggest price jumps are in Russia/Soviet Union and China. Once you identify these, just tell me and I may have a more current book than you and will tell you a better value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks S98. The web site you gave me is the exact one I found last night. Perfect. Now all I need is the time. The Olympic Coins were minted in 1968 by the Mexican Government. 25 Peso's. She has ten purchased at $7.00 each. Web site lists them at 72% silver and value at $18.88. Don't know if that is melt or coin value. I did stumble across a 64 Kennedy, three 1960 quarters and a few silver dimes from the 50's, one roll of 1950S wheat pennies with my writing on the roll and some loose common wheat's and Indians. Good to fine. Considering the prices she paid for small bags of foreign coins over the years I don't expect much. Make for a project on cold days this winter. If I find anything exceptional or unusual I'll post to you guys. Thanks S98.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread