1968-D Quarter error? Help please

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Million$coin said:
Hello, I have an 1968-D Quarter. Looks like in uncirculated condition. The D is not on the front of the Quarter it is on the back under Eagle. Very small D. Common? Rare? Error? Will upload pics in a bit.

Thanks a Million!

Sounds interesting since I believe it should be on the front next to Washington...got pics???

OP
OP
M

Million$coin

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Million$coin said:
Hello, I have an 1968-D Quarter. Looks like in uncirculated condition. The D is not on the front of the Quarter it is on the back under Eagle. Very small D. Common? Rare? Error? Will upload pics in a bit.

Thanks a Million!

Not the best pics but here it is

ForumRunner_20121203_032728.png

ForumRunner_20121203_032711.png

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that is an error and a very dramatic error. What happened is that your quarter was struck with dies intended for the silver quarters. Look at the edge of your quarter, is it solid white or is it copper coloured?

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE THIS COIN. From the looks of it, it is a very dramatic error and very well could be worth BIG BUCKS. I'm not sure that such a coin has been documented before. I'd have a coin dealer look at this personally to help determine its value and see if they will help you send it to NGC or PCGS (since I think dealers can get a better rate).

OP
OP
M

Million$coin

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Copper colored. This is amazing! I will do that. & i will update you. Thanks a lot for your interest!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Copper colored. This is amazing! I will do that. & i will update you. Thanks a lot for your interest!

The next thing you do needs to be to get it slabbed, while a coin like that you might get dealer offers, but the offers will increase by quite a bit if you have it slabbed. Of course, ONLY slab it by NCG or PCGS. While other TPGers may be just as reliable, they won't get you the $$$ that NGC or PCGS will.

Since your coin looks AU-ish, I'd be sure not to touch or rub it.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I would like to agree with Generic_Lad, but I'd would like to see better pictures. My opinion is that it is PMD to a Philly quarter. The mintmark doesn't match known serifs used for the Denver mint. And the alignment doesn't coincide. If you were to draw a line with the right side of the "R" in quarter, the mintmark should align. Your example looks as if it is straddling the "E". Also the relief of the mintmark doesn't look right.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake. I think it would be a very cool error if it is true.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be some sort of die damage, possibly even a dropped letter. This is where a letter punch is accidentally dropped damaging the die. It is too small and off center to be a D mintmark, reverse mintmarks hadn't been used in three years by 1968 so it is hard to imagine a die laying around for that long.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I suppose it does look rather off center for any known "D" mintmarks on the reverse. Better pictures are needed.

Even if it is just die damage it still might be worth something because it looks like a "D" mintmark :tongue3:

But better pictures are needed.

Scorpio

Dec 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a 1968 copper colored quarter, but this one doesn't have a "D" mintmark. It just has small circle where it should go. Just wondering if it's worth more then its face value? I can post pictures!!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, post some pictures. If it doesn't have a mintmark though it is most likely just a Philadelphia minted coin.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure what to think about the coin! I will agree that the Mintmark is likely too small but there are coins struck at the Denver Mint that are known to have smaller or larger mintmarks than the norm. The Mints have long manipulated the sizes of the Mintmarks, sometimes in attempts to decrease Die Failure. Also, the "D" letter is way too small to be a dropped letter Error. The Mintmark may be a man made Error (altered) for gain. Million$Coin, is the "D" incuse or obtuse and can you get a really good, in-focus closeup of the letter?

Frank

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the "D" raised or a depression? better photo, PLEASE. it sure ain't where it "spoda" be :laughing7::dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are responding to a MUCH older post. New member added to it a few posts back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions