jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The United States Mint has issued the first biennial report to Congress required under the Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010. The report includes an analysis of the production costs for each circulating coin, the findings of an alternative metals study, and Mint's recommendations with regards to potential changes in coin composition.
After a "thorough and meaningful" research and development study that took nearly two years to complete with an outside consultant, the US Mint has indicated that additional work is required before recommendations can be made for any specific changes in coin composition of methods of coin production.

Steam corrosion tested one cent trial strikes on aluminized steel
steam-corrosion.jpg

Wear tested five cent trial strikes on unplated copper alloy
wear-tested.jpg

US Mint Reports Findings of Alternative Coin Materials Research | Coin Update

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Any chance that some of the trial pieces will "go missing" and end up on the auction block 25 years later?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no Washington fan, after all..... he was a president, & war monger :(

However those Martha Nickels are cool :laughing7:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Any chance that some of the trial pieces will "go missing" and end up on the auction block 25 years later?

Doubtful. They may disappear, but they will not show at public auction.

I'll tell you, if I found one, I'd be on the first flight to Switzerland... or a country without extradition treaty. Public Auction in Serbia or something would be the only place to sell something like that (or a 1933 $20, or a 1974 Aluminum Cent)...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pattern Coins exist in Collections, But not sure if these would be considered Pattern coins since
their main purpose is to test the metal, Not the look, But Pattern coins are usually off metal also

For those of you not familiar with this fascinating area of numismatics, patterns are prototypes for coins that, for the most part, were never approved for circulation. Most patterns are very rare, some unique, and others unknown outside of museums.

http://uspatterns.com/

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can we go back to copper and silver ?

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im with nsdq. Simple,lasting,beautiful silver and copper. How much taxpayer dollars have been spent for a bunch of pencil pushers(no offense intended,the world needs pencil pushers) to sit around trying to come up wirh a 'cheap' and 'easy' alloy over the years? I bet it would have been cheaper to just use the damn silver. And their 'frankencoins' rot away after a year in the dirt. I do like that martha though...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think theri environmental tests are lacking. How can a coin that eats itself (like the zincoln) ever pass an environmental wear test? Those things are toasted in a matter of weeks in saltwater.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apparently environmental wear testing is a new thing.

Or set up for media to look like they actually work at the mint

then again maybe that is what they are looking for Disposable Coins.
Something to keep them replacing coins. "Job Security"

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But yet they claim the reasoning behind the push for changing $1 for $1 coins is that the coins have an expected life of 20 years, where a paper bill is only about 2.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the new coins better, the penny does a diservice to lincon, the (newer 2000s and so on) nickles really make jeffereson look awful, and washington never, looked good on the quarter. All current coins (usually!) found in circulation, except the dollar coins (both large and small) look awful, worse than their predecessor's and worse than their successors .

I'm no Washington fan, after all..... he was a president, & war monger :(

However those Martha Nickels are cool :laughing7:

Please do not insult George Washington; that is not cool and it is not a laughing matter, or are you just joking? Though, seeing clad of the same coin of the same person day after-day can be nerve wracking to the point where you start disliking whoever is on it.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
How about dumping tax, only reason there are pennies still. No retailers would deal with the confusion and no banks would deal with the hassle of ordering them.

Getting rid of pennies instead of tax, at least in the US, will simply make everything be rounded up homie. Things are all ready rounded up if you know what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions