Identifying Corroded 1888 Last 8 Over 7 Indian Head Cent

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 90% sure this is an 1888 8/7, but due to the corrosion, it's very difficult to validate. Taking pictures that show the over date is even more difficult, different angles show the 7 better than others, these pictures were about as good as I could get trying 2 different cameras and a USB Microscope. I'm thinking about selling it on eBay, but wanted to put it up here first to see what other people think.

In one of the close-ups of the last 8, I drew an outline of what I believe to be the 7. What makes this even more difficult is that this over date is light to begin with, the ones I've seen have been very light on VF-AU coins. If this were, say, a 1955 DDO, it would be much easier to distinguish, regardless of the state of the coin. What convinces me is the placement of the shading (it's exactly where it should be), and the lack of similar shading near the last 8.

Anyway, let me know what you think, am I just seeing what I want to be there?

Obverse Pics:

Obverse 2.jpg Obverse 1.jpg Obverse 3.jpg

Reverse Pic:

Reverse 1.jpg

Close-Up of Last 8:

Close Up of Last 8 No Outline.jpg Close Up of Last 8 with 7 Outlined.jpg

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Sorry but I'm not seeing it there, when coins are in this shape the mind can play tricks and trust me I been there before with a few coins of my own.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Henry, also I don't think where you have the 7 marked is where it is on the 1888/7.

OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
It is, but I didn't bring the tail of the 7 down far enough, it goes almost to the bottom of the coin. There are 2 varieties though, where I drew the 7 is the more prominent variety according to the red book.

You are probably right though, I am probably seeing what I want to be there. It's not like I have anything in the coin, I got it in a roll of "Unsearched" wheat pennies on eBay, so it's still better than finding another 40 or 50...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread