Morgan Dollar

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a 1890 CC Morgan Dollar. I can't find much info on this year with the CC mint so
any help or suggestions you have I would appreciate it.

The condition is outstanding IMO.

image-3061138805.jpg

image-1879084318.jpg

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that CC is Carson City and that this mint mark is probably not as common as an O or a D.

Sirreckless619

Apr 18, 2012
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be worth $70-90 maybe as much as $100. It is a little beat up so that will take away from the value. Nice coin nonetheless.

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirreckless619 said:
Could be worth $70-90 maybe as much as $100. It is a little beat up so that will take away from the value. Nice coin nonetheless.

Really? It looks beat up? I thought it looked stunning but I am not super experienced either.

Sirreckless619

Apr 18, 2012
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can't completely see by the pictures but it looks like there's a bunch of little Knicks and chips along the obverse of the coins. In mint conditon this coin could reach $2,200+.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

If this was a dug coin.....it's in pretty good condition under those circumstances.....insofar as collector grade coins they're pretty picky unfortunately.....most collectors are looking for items in pristine condition with no defects just the nature of their game.

I notice there's a pretty heavily damaged area on the obverse(face side) on the cheek which would detract from it.....
not trying to be negative just a reality check.....I've collected coins for 30 years or so and as they say I've been there and done that.....

Still a great coin and find and I'd keep it for posterity rather than selling if you don't need the money.

Regards + HH

Bill

How do I know what 'Grade' it is?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your coin might grade as high as F-12, which could be worth up to $115. It is a nice coin, I love Morgan dollars. Where did you get it?

I am attaching pics of a high grade Morgan dollar so you can see the differences in detail. I bought this coin last year, it's not perfect, but it is really sharp...

Attachments

• image-4201406816.jpg
    image-4201406816.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 310
  • image-1885084599.jpg
    image-1885084599.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 348

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with the VF 12. It seems pretty rough for a morgan. the 90CC is a better than average date, so the $100 price seems about right. Expect $50 to $60 if you were to sell it to a dealer. You would get about $80 on Ebay I would guess, which is about $60 after fees...

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's from my grandfathers stash. He has quite a bit of old coins and I researched them after he tried to take it to a dealer who offered him $100 for the box. I told him not to do that again and just hang on to them.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

If you have a coin club in your area it may be worth dropping by with the collection and see if they're willing to catalogue/grade the coins for you.....grading is not an exact science....but someone who's knowledgeable should be
able to do a pretty good job but it works better in they see them in person.

Regards + HH

Bill

bearbob2

Jan 19, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know I am comming in late on this, not sure where you got this coin but beware China has flodded the market with counterfit Morgan cc and they are good looking coins with the proper wear. The wieght differance the counterfit and real Morgan is only about the weight of a rubberband. I have had many of these in my hands. The best way to tell if they are real is by the cc mark. If yours is crisp and well defined most likely it is fake. The real Morgan cc marks are "squishy". I can not tell by the picture which you have but good luck and I hope this helps.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Based on the Photograde link provided I would give it much better than F12. Maybe VF25. Damage may reduce that. But based on the wear I would place it somewhere in the VF range.

Nice coin. Hope you can hold on to it.

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbob2 said:
Ok I know I am comming in late on this, not sure where you got this coin but beware China has flodded the market with counterfit Morgan cc and they are good looking coins with the proper wear. The wieght differance the counterfit and real Morgan is only about the weight of a rubberband. I have had many of these in my hands. The best way to tell if they are real is by the cc mark. If yours is crisp and well defined most likely it is fake. The real Morgan cc marks are "squishy". I can not tell by the picture which you have but good luck and I hope this helps.

I gave them back to my grandfather so I can't check the 'cc' mark right now but his father gave them to him umpteen years ago.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey Bill? she's baaaaackkkk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave them back to my grandfather so I can't check the 'cc' mark right now but his father gave them to him umpteen years ago.

ouch, her grandfather is still alive???? is she 13?

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff-gordon said:
ouch, her grandfather is still alive???? is she 13?

LOL!! No way! Reverse those numbers and you have hit the nail on the head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread