Can anyone appraise this gold coin for me?

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012

Attachments

• Scan 4.jpeg
    Scan 4.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Scan 3.jpeg
    Scan 3.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 228

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has about 78$ worth of gold in it. In my 2008 redbook it says that it is valued at in VF condition 150$. The link soldered to the top may deduct some value from it collector wise. Though those links look gold so don't through them away. I hope that helps.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Wow thank you so much for the fast reply. I hope its authentic.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
1862 gold dollar minted in Philly. It is a Type 2 Indian Princess. Melt value is approx. $80. Because of their small size and smaller mintages, they always carry a numismatic premium. Unfortunately, your grandfather's had been soldered to serve as a jewelry piece. The soldering diminishes the value. Without the soldering, it would probably be valued at $250. The soldering can be removed by a jeweler, but it will still show signs at the point of attachment. It would probably be worth $170. The soldering isn't horrible and can be cleaned up. At least, it wasn't holed.

The previous poster quoted a price of $170 (VF) based on 2008 Redbook. My quote above reflects the most current value as of 3 weeks via NGC.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
$225 (retail) in 2012 Red Book (VF).
Looks like Type 3 (Large Head) to me.
Don.......

Don is correct. It is a Type 3 gold dollar. There was the Liberty Head; Indian Princess Small Head; and Indian Princess Large Head. (Type 1;Type 2;Type3; respectively).
When talking about just Indian Princess gold dollars, collectors will refer to them as Type 1 and Type 2 respectively. In my post, I prefaced the type as an Indian Princess. But to be technically correct amongst all gold dollars there are three types. Don is correct in labeling the gold dollar as a Type 3 - Large Head Indian Princess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread