Recent Buzz on Eliminating Penny

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
It makes sence to get rid of it. However everything would have have to be rounded to the nickel. Which costs about 11¢ to make.

OP
OP
A

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are folks who read this forum who surely know more about these matters than I do, but why can't we use a cheaper metal to make our coins? I mean... There IS that option, isn't there?

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
There are folks who read this forum who surely know more about these matters than I do, but why can't we use a cheaper metal to make our coins? I mean... There IS that option, isn't there?

Well think about it, we switched from copper cents to zinc cents. The zinc producer for the mints also has an influence on the government.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels don't cost 11 cents to make and this being brought up a lot to take your attention off the really bad stuff that's happening.

OP
OP
A

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatacoin said:
Well think about it, we switched from copper cents to zinc cents. The zinc producer for the mints also has an influence on the government.

I should have been more clear: what I didnt say was - Are there other metals that are a cheaper alternative or have they all inflated past face value?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet / Visit my blog! www.saltusa.com

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more clear: what I didnt say was - Are there other metals that are a cheaper alternative or have they all inflated past face value?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet / Visit my blog! www.saltusa.com

Steel and aluminum come to mind.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to make the penny cheap enough to make sense for production would be to make it out of some form of plastic. zinc is about as cheap a metal as you can get, just slightly under the cost for Aluminum. Steel is cheaper but it cost a lot more to mint into coins so you lose any cost savings in material.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Have several Hundred Zink Cents that I would Like to sell SLIGHTLY DAMAGED~!!!!!! CHUG

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Sales tax would round up, prices at the shelf would round up, (for all cash transactions), this would be a huge money maker for both the stores and the government...
Back in the late 70's some bright guy did a computer program, it hacked the odd cent from the transactions of multiple company's, something they would never miss... He made millions and that is how he got caught....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread