1916-D mercury dime

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
1916-D mercury dime - pics added

So I'm going through my coworker's coins today, as I posted here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...18-80-s-crh-collection-updated-pics-lots.html, looking to see if I can fill some holes in my mercury dime and indian head penny books, and I see that he's got an extremely worn 1916-D. Knowing the history of his collection, how it's been sitting untouched for the last 20+ years, I'm hopefully optimistic that it's not a fake, but really not sure how to tell. I plan on taking it to the meeting of my local coin club, and asking some people there, and I'll post pics when I get home. Is there anything that usually gives it away?

The coin is so worn, especially around the edges, that at first I could only make out the mintmark under magnification. Now that I know where it is, I can see it with the naked eye, in good lighting. Anyone know how much this affects the value? Assuming it's legit, would it be worth getting slabbed?

I'm a relatively noob with respect to coin collecting, and especially grading, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Pics added below:

No question about the date.

DSC05035.JPG

The mintmark was much harder to get a good shot of. I tried with my camera alone, and taking a picture through my magnifying glass. Wasn't terribly impressed with either method, but here they are:

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05040.JPG

DSC05040-001.JPG

Odd, can't seem to get Picasa to export the picture without reducing the file size. I'll see if I can get the full size images up, but here's these for now.

Here's a couple of .png images; should be more detailed.

1916D.png 1916D-2.png

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we need pics - usually the D is easy to see, as it was punched close to the torch.

Generally, if you have you use your imagination to see the D, then it's an S or, a no mint mark. But we want some pics!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is an "S" and not a "D". A simple google search will show you the placement of the MM. The "D" is a little further left than what you have but the "S" MM looks identical to yours.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I believe that is an "S" and not a "D". A simple google search will show you the placement of the MM. The "D" is a little further left than what you have but the "S" MM looks identical to yours.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the mint mark on the Roosevelt dime? I did indeed google search after reading your post, and the Mercury dime mint marks all look to be in the same location, to me at least. Also, I compared the mint mark to other Mercury's with both D and S, to determine which it was. The picture may not show it, but it's definitely a D mark.

I'll be taking it in to my LCS later this week, so I'll post results. Thanks for you help.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure you're not thinking of the mint mark on the Roosevelt dime? I did indeed google search after reading your post, and the Mercury dime mint marks all look to be in the same location, to me at least. Also, I compared the mint mark to other Mercury's with both D and S, to determine which it was. The picture may not show it, but it's definitely a D mark.

I'll be taking it in to my LCS later this week, so I'll post results. Thanks for you help.

The 1916-D has a different mint mark placement, but I can't tell you exactly. There are 3 possible placements, all distinct in that same area of the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread