What are they?! value?

EldoCoGold

Jan 12, 2013
Shingle Springs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these 3 coins in a box of junk in my parents garage today, my google-foo is weak as i wasnt able to find ANYTHING on any of the 3 and i realise that the smaller coin has COPY stamped on it but i feel this is superficial...maybe...it looks and feels real haha.. any ideas? 20130303_175850.jpg 20130303_175923.jpg

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Not to be a downer but there fake forget what they are but they stamp copy in the coins so they can't be sold as "real". You would have a nice payday if they where real

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive got one just like that one that says copy only thing i found out about is that it came with a reader digest mag years ago if my memory is right the other 2 could be real

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The smaller one is as fake as fake can get. I've seen -lots- of examples of it, they are modern, machine struck coins. And if it feels real to you, you probably haven't handled many authentic hammered coins :tongue3:

The bottom one looks like it should be real, and as wildman pointed out it is a Justinian I follis. Although without holding it in hand I cannot say whether or not it is for sure authentic or not.

As for the one with the helmet on it, something just looks "off" to me, not "off" enough that I would say its a fake, but if I saw the coin on eBay I wouldn't bid on it. I can't really identify the type of it, it appears to be Athena on the obverse and a trophy on the reverse. Beyond that and after a few Google searches I can't find much info on it.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
What... No- The little one is very very rare!
It was a dual country coin co-minted by the Romans and Greeks. The letter O is really a letter D.
Roman C=100, D=500 ---written CD is 400.
PY is Greek P (Rho)=100, Y (Upsilon)=400 P+Y=500
So the coin----- CDPY was worth 400 in Rome and 500 in Athens....

Not really. Sorry... Just a tourist shop gift.
PEACE

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
believes it or not, i was reading a story once in national geo-graph-ick 'bout the real artifacts having stamped copy or facsimile in them, and the fake one's said nothing. I believe it was in mexico regarding stolen antiques, and they actually ended up taking the unstamped fake one's instead of the ones that said copy. ask your parents where these were obtained from, IF THEY DID NOT LOOK SO OBVIOUSLY FAKE, there woulda been a slim chance of them being real despite the COPY mark.

Maathai Wangari

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be real or copy of specific coin. These coins looks like Romans and Greeks coins. If you mentioned the weigh of both coins than it will be easy to compare them.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is possible that some genuine antiquities would be stamped copy to allow them to be exported (and then the copy removed) what you have at least for the smallest coin is a very common copy is in no way a decent fake.

See:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/128164-ceaae-coin-copy.html
Any idea's on what these are? | Repro Gela tetradrachm - Coin Community Forum

And many others...

Now an actual forgery (one where collectors have a hard time distinguishing between genuine and fake coins) is like this one:

$T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,ButeBRNO42RHmg~~60_35.JPG

SE1079-o.jpg

Now out of these two, which is the forgery?

The answer it is the one with the blue background on the top, it is a copy of a penny of Edward the Elder that was made by the forger Trevor Ashmore, whereas the bottom one is a genuine coin.

The forgery is made out of silver just like the authentic coin. The only difference is the lettering and the porous surface of the forgery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread