Nice 1806 half at flea market...opinions?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the local flea market today and bought 2 coins. I got a very smooth, yet date readable 1794 large cent, and this 1806 draped bust half. I asked the price on the half dollar, and he said 40 bucks. I had no real idea on value, but the price sounded good to me. I will never be able to dig coins that old here, so why not buy a few?

Any thoughts on grade/value?

Attachments

• image-1237749396.jpg
    image-1237749396.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 306
  • image-71960849.jpg
    image-71960849.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 298

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks too good to be true. If its real you got a heck of a deal. Some others will chime in I'm sure.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it have a lettered edge? Have you checked the weight? I would be a little leary of a coin like that for only forty dollars.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the edge is lettered.

Ok, please don't shoot me lol--It came in a coin flip certified by ICCS. I opened it to better photograph it and have a good look. I'll never sell it, so it's ok with me. The grade seems to be too low IMHO, and I've heard ICCS grades low. And what the hell, it was 40 bucks...

Man, I have been looking up info on the coin, and it looks like it is probably worth waaay more than I paid. The seller is a really nice older guy, he really knows his stuff on Canadian coins. My brother has bought a lot of antique paper money from him. I have seen him at several flea markets etc, today he even gave my little daughter a nice big old cats eye marble.

He must have been mistaken when he checked his book for price. He even said "40 bucks I guess, thought it would have been more, oh well".

Feeling like maybe I should try to find him and give him some more money...

Attachments

• image-3166029796.jpg
    image-3166029796.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 253

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a scale you could weigh it on? Should weigh 13.48 grams.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you were in the right place at the right time! Probably cleaned, but worth a lot more than $40 if genuine, I'd guess it to be around a $250 to $300 coin.

Last edited:

stonehenge

Aug 27, 2010
Hold on. It came in a graded "coin flip?"

Something you could just remove and pull out a coin and replace with another? That's not graded. That's a recipe or fraud.

I'm sure the guy is a real nice guy as you say and would try to screw you over, but before you start calculations your profit, weigh it, look at it with a loupe and then have it SLABBED.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold on. It came in a graded "coin flip?"

Something you could just remove and pull out a coin and replace with another? That's not graded. That's a recipe or fraud.

I'm sure the guy is a real nice guy as you say and would try to screw you over, but before you start calculations your profit, weigh it, look at it with a loupe and then have it SLABBED.

It was totally sealed, I carefully cut it with an exacto knife to get it out. I've had the loupe out, it looks totally legit. And I know the seller enough to know he is totally honest, not even a question in my mind.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I question is it definitely looks cleaned, and if I can tell just from the picture why does it not say this on the grading card.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I question is it definitely looks cleaned, and if I can tell just from the picture why does it not say this on the grading card.

Yeah, I suspect it may have been cleaned as well. However, knowing the seller, and the coin looking genuine to me, I thought I'd chance it for 40 dollars.

I am going to call ICCS and give them the info on the grading card, they must have a record of the coin if they graded it right?

I have never sent a coin for grading before, and I want to send this coin to a US grading service. What do you expert coin folks regard as the best grading company?

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally suspect IMO. A clear field on the obverse, not even a scratch, yet graded G-4 without comment; red flag is flying for me.
Don...

It was graded VG-8 don, not G-4. The ICCS packaging appears identical to the ones I have seen online, and they are a Canadian grading company, only occasionally grading coins from other countries. Also, I have heard that they are extremely conservative with grades.

Thanks for the honest opinions everybody. I guess all I can do is investigate further, and send to be graded again.

I'm thinking PCGS?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin. Looks genuine. I bought an 1823 half for $125 last year. Way under value too. Sometimes it's just what the seller needs for it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Appears genuine to me. 1806 Pointed 6 with Stem variety. Possibly cleaned but I do agree with upper VG on the grade. ICCS is a reputable grading company typically used for Canadian coins.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing more research, I do believe the coin is genuine. On the upper right corner of the shield is a small line trailing off of the corner. Also the bottom right part of the base of the "F" in "OF" is missing. These are both traits of the1806 Overton 120 variety. If someone was going to fake the coin, why would they pay such attention to minor detail, and then NOT mention it on the grading info? Curious...

I can not get ICCS on the phone.

Best part: this is fun!

Attachments

• image-581102974.jpg
    image-581102974.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image-219569818.jpg
    image-219569818.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 136

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i shared this link with another forum that has some pretty knowledgeable draped bust half folks. The general consensus is that it is genuine but cleaned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread