Question/opinions on these Morgans

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad gave these to me a few years ago. He bought them when the gov't liquidated the CC stash back in the 1970's I think.
All 3 remain in the original GSA holders. I would assume they are all mint state ( few bag marks being the only flaws), but as far a grading, anyone with experience/opinions?

1882cr.jpg 1882revcr.jpg

1883.JPG 1883rev.JPG

1884.JPG 1884rev.JPG

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
They are the common CC dates that are readily available. They are very nice, but don't warrant the submission fees to have them graded. Keep them in government holders. Do you still have the certs? It isn't necessary, but if the packaging is complete (box, cert, and holder) and in good condition, then one can expect a higher premium. So many of these government CC's were cracked out of the holders and submitted for grading that the ones that remain in the original holder are preferred by collectors. NGC offers grading while keeping the government holder if you are inclined. GSA Holders

OP
OP
S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input DD. Unfortunately, my dad did not save the certs or boxes. I definitely will not remove the coins from the holders.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for your input DD. Unfortunately, my dad did not save the certs or boxes. I definitely will not remove the coins from the holders.

Even if you don't plan on getting the coins graded in the GSA holders, do protect them. If they are going to be stored, just place a layer of tissue paper/paper towel/ etc. between the acrylic to prevent scratching. I've handled hundreds of the GSA morgans and many of the cases get scratched and beat up impairing the desire to keep the coins in their original holders. As more and more of the GSA morgans get busted out of their cases, the ones that remain in their case will continue to fetch a premium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread