🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any help is appreciated, im thinking VG8, but F12 after a little cleaning would be awesome LC closeup front.jpg LC closeup back.jpg

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i thank i would take it to a coin shop and have it cleaned copper is easy to mess up

gabino1987

Mar 6, 2013
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what coin is this i think i found one like that but the condition is so ruff i could only make out the one cent in the back but the front is completely gone

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any attempt at cleaning it would be foolish. It's as good as it will get.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some super soft brushes and oils that pros use to improve coppers. That one looks particularly dry, and could be improved by oil. I would leave it to the professionals, or at least get their advice as to what brush to use and what oil to use. I've oiled a coin or two in my time. It really wasn't too hard, but again, you have to have the right oil and the right brush. All I did was put a couple of drops on the brush and then brushed the back of my hand, then I did the coin.

There is a group, Early American Coppers. It is a collector's club. You can contact them and they may point you in the right direction.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say that I really like the eye of that coin. The contrast between the fields and the design really set it off. I am not sure I would do anything to it.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The coin appears to have better details than others have been saying. However, the obverse is completely covered in corrosion that has almost certainly eaten into the metal. This would preclude the coin from being graded. However, it can still be "net" graded, and would perhaps be called Fine details.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys, not selling it or anything, just curious. Im new to the whole grading/placing values on coins and i appreciate the help

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do nothing with the coin, please, it's a nice coin but will not grade. However, it does have a net grade since it has environmental damage but the images are not clear enough to say for certain.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Damaged: Corrosion
F12 Details

My apologies to CoinKid. I'm new to this site and appear to have taken a name, which is far too similar to his.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread