U.S. Mint Products

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is a question without an answer, but I was wondering whether there are any prevailing views on which U.S. Mint products are good/smart/saavy buys. Perhaps it's all a matter of personal preference and what you want to collect, but was hoping for some guidance on which products it makes sense to buy and put away because they have a decent shot at appreciating in value down the road. On the other hand, are there products that it usually does not make sense to buy for investment?

I recall seeing a website last year that recommended various U.S. Mint products over others, but I can't recall where the site was.

Thanks

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe this is a question without an answer, but I was wondering whether there are any prevailing views on which U.S. Mint products are good/smart/saavy buys. Perhaps it's all a matter of personal preference and what you want to collect, but was hoping for some guidance on which products it makes sense to buy and put away because they have a decent shot at appreciating in value down the road. On the other hand, are there products that it usually does not make sense to buy for investment?

I recall seeing a website last year that recommended various U.S. Mint products over others, but I can't recall where the site was.

Thanks

I always get a silver proof set for each year from the Mint. I don't know how the pricing goes, but I would think Proof ASEs would be a good buy too, some of them are worth good money over the value of just the regular issue bullion coins.

Bad investment for sure would be clad proof sets.

-----------------------------Orig. Price-----Est. Current Sell Price
Example: 2000-S Proof Set - $19.95 ----------- $3.00

I bought one of these on eBay a year ago for $4, and was going to piece it apart because I needed a clad 2000-S for my Kennedy Intercept Shield album, but I held on to it because it kills me to have to break apart a set of any coin. I sold it on eBay 2 months ago for $10.75. The market on them is fickle, but I wouldn't make a habit of buying clad proof sets, especially from the U.S. Mint (this year's set is $31.95). The price loses probably 1/4 of the value after the year it's released.

Hope this helps you.

- DS

US Mint Proof Set Values - Coin Values for US Proof Sets

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Boris.

I bought silver proof sets from the Mint the last two years and bought another from the early 2000s off ebay recently. I also bought the 2012 limited edition silver proof set earlier this year. Some say it's an overpriced gimmick because the mint put together coins you could have paid less for previously in separate sets, but I like the fact that it is a limited edition (and has been temporarily sold out for a while) and that they seem to be selling on ebay well over the mint's retail price.

The other day I went to the mint's sales desk for the first time and bought the 2013 ATB quarters silver proof set. I also picked up a clad uncirculated 5 star general commemorative half. The half was probably overpriced, but I have a thing for commemmorative halves. Also used the mint's change machine to exchange a paper dollar for 4 Perry's victory ATB quarters - for nice AU/BU quarters at face.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Myself I really only go after things with supply issues such as the Silver Eagle anniversary set, everything else I find tends to be either impossible to sell or sells at a loss on the secondary market. Unless there is guaranteed profit to be made (as in the case of the Silver Eagle Anniversary sets) or unless I really like the design (which, is really unlikely when it comes to US coins) and prepared to pay a premium, I don't buy from the mint.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic - what do you mean by supply issues? Once a supply issue arises, how can you buy the item? Are you somehow recognizing the supply issues in advance, or are you buying them on the secondary market?

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic - what do you mean by supply issues? Once a supply issue arises, how can you buy the item? Are you somehow recognizing the supply issues in advance, or are you buying them on the secondary market?

He means that items like the 2011 ASE sets which were limited to 100,000 orders, it was put out there from the mint that these were going to be limited and those who were paying attention maxed out at five sets. Some sellers are asking and getting over $1000.

Heres my proof....

2011 NGC MS70 PR70 Reverse 5 PC 25th Anniversary Early Releases Silver Eagle Set | eBay

2011 25th Anniversery Silver Eagle Set NGC PR Rev PR MS 70 ER OGP100 00 Sets | eBay

Silver Eagle Anniversary Sets 2011 2012 PCGS MS70 PR70 PR70DCAM Mercanti Signed | eBay

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Boris.

I bought silver proof sets from the Mint the last two years and bought another from the early 2000s off ebay recently. I also bought the 2012 limited edition silver proof set earlier this year. Some say it's an overpriced gimmick because the mint put together coins you could have paid less for previously in separate sets, but I like the fact that it is a limited edition (and has been temporarily sold out for a while) and that they seem to be selling on ebay well over the mint's retail price.

The other day I went to the mint's sales desk for the first time and bought the 2013 ATB quarters silver proof set. I also picked up a clad uncirculated 5 star general commemorative half. The half was probably overpriced, but I have a thing for commemorative halves. Also used the mint's change machine to exchange a paper dollar for 4 Perry's victory ATB quarters - for nice AU/BU quarters at face.

I agree with Generic_Lad's note on this that if you are trying to get it to sell, then you should get stuff that you will make a tidy profit on (like the SEAs).

Me personally, I always get a silver proof set because that's been a Christmas tradition that my dad started. He was an on again-off again coin collector, and he liked getting me and my sister silver proof sets (starting in 1999 because we were into collecting the state quarters).

Ever since then, I always get a silver proof set for Christmas (I'm 21 and my mom still gets me one each year, lol).

My dad died in 2002, but my mom always made sure me and my sister got one for Christmas since he couldn't carry on the tradition.

That's the main reason I still go for them, although if I can find a good deal on a duplicate set, I jump on it.

- DS

P.S. I like the ATB quarters and the Clad comms (which still can get good money on eBay).

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's just crazy. If the price spiked that much in just 2 years, I wonder how it will be 10, 20, 30, 40+ years down the road.

It has rarity but will it have demand is the real question, many high grade examples went directly into slabs how will that will affect the pricing in the future is anyone's guess?

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coinguy. Those examples you cite were certified MS70. I probably won't be getting my mint products certified - I'll leave them in the original packaging. Not sure the graders will certify in the original packaging, but even so I don't think I'll bother.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coinguy. Those examples you cite were certified MS70. I probably won't be getting my mint products certified - I'll leave them in the original packaging. Not sure the graders will certify in the original packaging, but even so I don't think I'll bother.

Yes they are certified but if you send in a new ASE for certification you're going to get a 69 or 70, 90% of the time. If you do some more research you will find raw sets selling between $750 and $800, home run either way. In most cases no they will not certify coins in original packaging, not saying it doesn't happen just not for most coins.

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they are certified but if you send in a new ASE for certification you're going to get a 69 or 70, 90% of the time. If you do some more research you will find raw sets selling between $750 and $800, home run either way. In most cases no they will not certify coins in original packaging, not saying it doesn't happen just not for most coins.

I thought that the only coin that a grading company would certify in the original packaging were GSA dollars (NGC)?

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that the only coin that a grading company would certify in the original packaging were GSA dollars (NGC)?

They will also grade Brown Box Proof Ikes in the original box but im not sure if this is still available.

$(KGrHqZHJEsE+T-QQSm-BQKuLEF,4w~~60_35.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions