best place to buy ancient uncleaned coin lot

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently found lots of uncleaned coins on ebay, and I'm interested in buying. However, they are too expensive.

Where can I buy lots of ancient coins for $.25 - $.50 each?

Also, are there any countires in Asia where I could go and buy cheap off the guys straight from the field?

gorgias

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm afraid its going to be hard to buy bulk uncleaned coins for cheap online, your best bet is to try to find a dealer somewhere or fellow collector, I got a big ziplock bag full of late roman bronzes in various states for like $70 from a fellow collector but online I can't seem to find any for cheap. I know Forum ancient coins has some for a couple bucks a coin ( Uncleaned Ancient Coins ) and I'd imagine the other sellers on VCoins would have some stuff also.

I think the big problem with buying stuff from the guys in the field is that there are so many export restrictions when it comes to freshly-dug coins in many countries, although I could be wrong when it comes to some countries.

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Generic Lad,

I guess if I ever go to Europe, I'll try to hit a dealer up.

If dug coins were essentially valueless--ie, base metals--in a poor non-totalitarian country, you'd probably be doing the digger a favor. UPS would take care of the rest.

Gorgias

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Generic Lad,

I guess if I ever go to Europe, I'll try to hit a dealer up.

If dug coins were essentially valueless--ie, base metals--in a poor non-totalitarian country, you'd probably be doing the digger a favor. UPS would take care of the rest.

Gorgias

Yes, but the problem is that it might get stopped at customs on one side of the border or another and be seized. You'd be surprised at what governments don't want people shipping, for example you can't even legally ship coins to Australia!

Of course if you put something like "tokens" or "numismatic items" on the customs forms... :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The market creates the price and it is what it is. It sounds like you want to buy to sell and have an on going source, because if it was just a few for you the price shouldn't be that much of a factor, and you could just cherry pick a few deals online. So if I am correct in my assumption it comes down to having to pay to play.

And for the record... you will not have any problems at all bringing coins into the country.

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, just the opposite. I'm not a coin collector.

I want to buy like 100 coins cheap, clean them, and maybe frame them to see if I'm interested in pursuing it further.

gorgias

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, just the opposite. I'm not a coin collector.

I want to buy like 100 coins cheap, clean them, and maybe frame them to see if I'm interested in pursuing it further.

gorgias

Look a lot on ebay, track many auctions, and get a deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought 10 Roman coins from the Middle East for under $15 including shipping. Now, I need to watch for deals.

gorgias

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 10 Roman coins from the Middle East for under $15 including shipping. Now, I need to watch for deals.

gorgias

That's it, you look in places and try to get them cheap. Eventually you will get deals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions