COIN COLLECTORS / ROLL SEARCHERS INFO HERE

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
after watching my brother search rolls and boxes trying to locate a desirable i decided it was fruitless like golfing or tennis....never been a coin collector.....maybe searching the rolls for you looking for the one coin is like me searching records for months on end just to find the one shred of evidence i have been looking for is for me.....any way if i were to decide to hunt through coins i think i would start here instead of at the bank...in many cases they have oldies listed by the pound at just above current market weight prices instead of coin prices...........check it out here..... http://www.govmint.com/firstfederalmint/firstfederalmint.aspx gldhntr

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently you don't understand why we do it.

We are looking to find those coins at face value, not at the value that they are worth.

We also enjoy the thrill of the hunt, just like you do with metal detecting.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Its kinda like playing the lottery. Except you never lose because you can take the coins back to the bank and get yur cash back.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The site you posted I would be very wary of.... looks like it should be called home shopping network. Not meaning to degrade you, just my take on it. You'll see these guys on Ebay as well. Carefully worded to sound better than what they are.

I'll do ya one better, I'll sell ya as many 3 pound lots of wheaties as you want for 89 bucks, thats a ten dollar savings on what they offer. And its still about 6 times what they're worth....

As the guys noted earlier, we do it for fun, and the occasional heart wrenching rarity that comes from it. Most boxes for me produce about 3 or 4 silver halves. However, I did do one box that had close to eighty silver coins in it! Thrill of the chase!

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
as i said, never been a coin collector..and, aparrantly i do not know why you do it....i know that when i research something i can either sit down with a 12th grade schoolbook {{which to me would be like sitting down with bank rolls}},,, or,, i could sit in nc state's library and pore over the southern historical society papers, {{which would be like looking through bags of total silver}}.......kinda like stacking the deck in your own favor.....never been a coin shooter either but if i decided to, i think i would rather search under the bleachers instead of in the middle of the ball field.........gldhntr

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The books are free in either case. If they charged you 30 bucks to look under the bleachers for loose cahnge, would you still be inclined to do it?

The rolls we search are basically free money, we turn them back in. Net loss is ONLY the face value we take out. On the flip side, a 99 dollar bag of common wheats is just as likely to produce a 1909 S VDB as is 99 dollars worth of cents bought in rolls.

Difference is, I can turn the 99 dollars worth I bought at a bank in for 98 dollars and change. the 99 dollar bag of wheats is about 500 cents, tops. Worth at MOST 20 bucks when you go to sell them at a coin shop. 5 dollars if you turn them in to a bank.

Its perfectly fine if you want to do it your way, everybody has there own way of doing things.....I'm pretty sure it won't cost me nearly as much out of pocket. :)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'm not a coin collector or coin roll hunter, I metal detect and collect currency, and after finding a little silver, I might as well start collecting coins and I already see the point of coin roll hunting. I've never done it, but would love to. Here is why.........as in metal detecting, I don't think anyone here in particular is looking to get rich or find a 1,000 silver coin stash........it is the thrill of the hunt. I myself love finding and obtaining a coin for the price of a little battery juice.......almost free when my detector finds it! Sometimes when I look at my little silver collection, I think in my mind........"And I didn't have to go on Ebay and buy these!" I think the same goes for coin roll hunting. The possibility of finding a nice old coin is there, and there is searching to do. And when it is found, it cost you a ridiculously low price! It is a find indeed. A find that you had to hunt to obtain, except the approach was different. Fishing, metal detecting and coin roll hunting in my opinion share the same aspects. Imagine finding a barber dime or other coin in a roll of coins that is worth like $60? That should boil anyone's blood just the same way as any treasure hunter/metal dectorists blood would boil if he found a nice target. I could go online right now and buy a coin on Ebay or Heritage, etc. and the greatest excitement would probably be the waiting period. The thrill would not compare to that little silver rim staring at you from a clump of dirt.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding silver in rolls is what we are after. We aren't really looking for any valuable coins, just silver. If a valuable one comes though it just makes it that much more exciting.

And then with the silver their values change every day based on the current rate of silver and we can sell for a profit any time we want since we only have face value in them. Would you pay 50 cents for a half dollar that has $4-5 worth of silver in it? You would be stupid not to, and that is exactly what we are doing.

Silver is traded just like the stock market. Would you turn down stocks if you could get them at their IPO price knowing what they sell for now? Of course not.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Finding silver in rolls is what we are after. We aren't really looking for any valuable coins, just silver. If a valuable one comes though it just makes it that much more exciting.

And then with the silver their values change every day based on the current rate of silver and we can sell for a profit any time we want since we only have face value in them. Would you pay 50 cents for a half dollar that has $4-5 worth of silver in it? You would be stupid not to, and that is exactly what we are doing.

Silver is traded just like the stock market. Would you turn down stocks if you could get them at their IPO price knowing what they sell for now? Of course not.
Good explanation! :)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my years of coin roll hunting I have found 605 90% silver halves. I paid 302.50 for them. I can currently sell them for about $2400. That is over $2000 profit, and all it did was take up some time. That does not include the proofs, double dies, 40% halves and others I have found. And ALL were acquired at face value. One of the big pluses of roll hunting is we can never lose money, as our coins will always be worth what we paid for them, face value. As Ricardo said, it is the thrill of the hunt.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
gldhntr is right , its nonsense to search through coins in circulation... just
buy them from suppliers , its easier ;) ;)

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I'm gonna stop fishing because I can just go to the store and buy fish. In fact I think I'm gonna quit cooking food too because I can just go to a restaurant. While I'm at it I'm gonna sell my pickup and my house, take a taxi everywhere, and move into a Holiday Inn. This way I don't need to drive, cook, clean, mow the lawn, scoop snow. Oh yeah and I'm gonna quit metal detecting too because I can just buy everything off ebay.

BarrySr

Greenie
Feb 4, 2007
Kingwood, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Wow, let me get this straight: (sarcasm starts)

You buy rolls of money from the bank, get to look through them and pick out what you want. By law they can only sell the coins to you for thier face value, so if you pick out silver or other valuable coins thier hands are tied. You sell the remaining coins in rolls back to them, and by law they have to give you face value for the rolls, so you break even on the rolls. You can take the silver the bank let you have for face value and sell it for over a 500% profit, and it's too much of a hassle?!

You know, there are just some people who are not happy unless they're miserable...

BarrySr
Kingwood, TX

BarrySr

Greenie
Feb 4, 2007
Kingwood, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
BTW, what has been the frequency of finding silver in quarter rolls these days? Dime rolls?

BarrySr
Kingwood, TX

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding silver in quarter rolls is not good at all, it is the worst of the denominations. In dime rolls folks generally find 3 - 5 in a $500 batch. Your best bet is halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread