1965 quarter weight question.

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
Hopefully this post is in the right forum ...

Hey everyone! I ordered a gram scale to check our coins from when we go metal detecting and we pulled a 1965 quarter out of the ground a few days ago ... I have a book called "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" and it says a normal 1965 weighs 5.67 and a silver (rare) would weigh 6.25. This one we have weighs 5 grams ... From what I understood from the book, there are quarters out there that are the width of a dime and can weigh from 4.2 - 4.4 grams ... But, like I mentioned, this one is 5 grams.

Anyone know anything more about this error??

Thanks in advance!
- Heysenn

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
Without a picture we can be of no assistance.......

I'm guessing of the weight? If not, let me know ... I'm new to weighing. The dirty looking one is the one we dug up and I posted a regular one just to show the gram difference. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-1262209014.jpg
    image-1262209014.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 389
  • image-845682478.jpg
    image-845682478.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 302

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing of the weight? If not, let me know ... I'm new to weighing. The dirty looking one is the one we dug up and I posted a regular one just to show the gram difference. Thanks!!

Corrosion takes off layers. It could be struck on a foreign planchet, but I don't think so.

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
The book says it could've been struck by a dime plachet? Is that what you mean by foreign?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The book says it could've been struck by a dime plachet? Is that what you mean by foreign?

A planchet is the blank for the coin. I think a brockage is when the planchet strikes the coin. It could be struck on a dime planchet, but would be the size of a dime. By foreign, I am talking about being struck on a foreign coin blank that is the size of a dime. The US mint makes coins for like 65 countries.

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
I don't think it's corrosion because it is thinner than your average quarter. I wish it weighed 6.25 though! Haha! Thanks for the info. :)

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's corrosion because it is thinner than your average quarter. I wish it weighed 6.25 though! Haha! Thanks for the info.

I didn't comment because you got a good answer already but im going to agree with saggittarius98, Its corrosion and nothing more.....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it's corrosion because it is thinner than your average quarter. I wish it weighed 6.25 though! Haha! Thanks for the info. :)

Corrosion does add thickness, but when it is removed, all that is left is the metal of the coin, which has been eaten away by the corrosion, which decreases thickness.

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
It doesn't look eaten away. It just has dirt on it. The coin's face and back look normal. The ridges are good too.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look eaten away. It just has dirt on it. The coin's face and back look normal. The ridges are good too.

Then send it out to an expert for further evaluation or take it to a local coin shop because we cannot be of any more assistance without actually having the coin in hand. Lets also remember that the tolerance of a quarters weight is plus or minus 0.097 grams so it wouldn't take much corrosion to make it weigh 4.98 grams if in fact the planchet was on the light side. I say put it aside until you are going to a coin shop and have someone knowledgeable look at it, Im still sticking with corrosion coupled with slightly underweight planchet but still within the mints tolerance. I have been wrong before and determining anything from images is nearly impossible with this kind of error, hope for you it is legit....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread