What is this coin with 2 dates?

Nerves82

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this necklace had a Canadian coin in it and the odd thing is that it has a different date on either side of the coin. It is inset in the pendent but it is only as wide as 1 coin so I don't think it is 2 coins set face to face to get the 2 dates. Is it a commemorative coin? Thanks for the help.
DSC_0074.JPG DSC_0075.JPG DSC_0076.JPG DSC_0077.JPG

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You have what appears to be a Canadian 25 cent piece with the images of the Queen on one side and a caribou on the other. The series ran from 1968 through 1978. The coin was of 5.8 grams; .500 oz ASW silver; 23.8 mm in diameter and heavily minted. (10M to 176M; 1970 being the rarest.) Your coin, with the word "silver" may be a commemorative since that word does not appear on the original series. The original showed the denomination, '35 cents', in that same area.
Don....

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The back is not a coin from the looks of it. The front is a coin from the Isle of Man, although I'm not sure what the coin would be because the reverse of Isle of Man's coins is not a Canadian quarter.

This really is a mystery, I'm thinking that the back of the pendent just has the Canadian quarter looking "coin" as the back of the pendent and its not a real coin in there, whereas the isle of man coin is a real coin and its set in the pendent.

OP
OP
N

Nerves82

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought the same thing, that it is 2 different coins, but it seems as if it is only as thick as a US dime so I ruled that out.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that 'coin' in the jewelery is not an authentic Canadian quarter.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The verdict is:

These are fakes made for jewelry. The only question is: Are they silver?

OP
OP
N

Nerves82

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great. Thanks for the info guys. Whatever it is, it is still nice looking. My daughter loves to wear it so it will belong to her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread