sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to make a thread of eBay scams. I will make it like a log, where every time I come across one, I will post it here. I think it will be interesting to see, and also some people may learn from this. Obviously, I am not saying all eBay auctions are scams, as many are good, but I will just highlight the deceptive ones.

I want to limit it to coins only, and anyone can contribute. Don't include "unsearched rolls" as they will always be there and I don't want repeats.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Lot of 20 Silver Coins Mexico Silver 1 Peso Silver Dollar Coins Cheap Silver | eBay

These are 1 peso coins from the 1950s and 1960s. They are big coins, and there are 20 of them. Most people will think they get a bargain by buying 20 big, almost Ike sized silver coins for just $75, when 1 silver dollar is worth $18 in melt.

What the seller does not say is that they contain only 10% silver, no numismatic premium, and have only .0514 troy oz. of silver. So in reality, the seller has been able to sell lots of 1 ounce of silver for $75.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of 20 Silver Coins Mexico Silver 1 Peso Silver Dollar Coins Cheap Silver | eBay

These are 1 peso coins from the 1950s and 1960s. They are big coins, and there are 20 of them. Most people will think they get a bargain by buying 20 big, almost Ike sized silver coins for just $75, when 1 silver dollar is worth $18 in melt.

What the seller does not say is that they contain only 10% silver, no numismatic premium, and have only .0514 troy oz. of silver. So in reality, the seller has been able to sell lots of 1 ounce of silver for $75.

That's more a case of buyer beware than a scam. For a buyer to get fooled on those it's either a good lesson, or a sign that maybe they shouldn't be buying coins. As for the seller it's not really worth dealing with those dumb buyers once someone explains to them what they bought they're going to be cranky. (and they never think stupid me - they think F you seller) There's all sorts of bad deals on Ebay and I could probably post 10 or 20 a week without even trying too hard.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread