lcs pricing

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My lcs has peace and Morgans for 27 apiece. Is this a good price? Also I got two plastic tubes and 5 mercury "winged liberty" dimes for 13 is this over priced. I know it's over spot so I'm not sure how to judge premiums

Not a bad price for the morgans- I don't buy the plastic tunes so I'm not sure in those- but with the Mercuries probably also not bad

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also trying to build a relationship with them. So I could haggle or get things others wouldn't.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Tubes cost like a quarter at my LCS, and they usually throw a couple extra ones when I buy.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got home from a LCS that I hadn't been to before. He was charging 19X face value on junk silver and he had 2013 ASE's that were priced at $28. I didn't think either was too bad. Sounds like you did pretty well on your end. Oh, his Morgans were anywhere from $30-$33 and $29 for Peace dollars.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention he offered to sell me a complete Whitman folder set of Franklins for 20X face. Same with Roosevelt dimes and Washington quarters minus the 32D. Wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to mention he offered to sell me a complete Whitman folder set of Franklins for 20X face. Same with Roosevelt dimes and Washington quarters minus the 32D. Wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not.

The 1932-S is worth similar to the 1932-D.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgans and Peace dollars are worth $18 in silver. since they contain 3/4 ounce of pure silver your $27 represents almost a $9 per ounce premium. You decide is that is worth paying.

Now, if you are buying them as coins, they are generally worth the spot silver price, which means they are worth about $24, so your LCS is charging you over $3 premium per coin.

Last edited:

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1932-S is worth similar to the 1932-D.

This is good to know considering he didn't say anything about leaving out the 32-S.

Morgans and Peace dollars are worth $18 in silver. since they contain 3/4 ounce of pure silver your $27 represents almost a $9 per ounce premium. You decide is that is worth paying.

Now, if you are buying them as coins, they are generally worth the spot silver price, which means they are worth about $24, so your LCS is charging you over $3 premium per coin.

I wish I could find Morgan or Peace dollars for spot. $27 is the cheapest I've found within 80 miles never mind online auctions.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same shop that I bought from sold me dimes at 2$ apiece. 30¢ above melt. Silver is at the same price I bought last time. Frequently shopping there is starting to pay off.!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions