possible doubled die on 2007 quarter?

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
I know that the mint says its impossible to have a doubled die on newer coins, but this seems different. Ill try to post a picture in a little bit but idk if my camera will show it. I found an 07 quarter and on the obverse I noticed if I hold it at a certain angle I can see some of the letters lightly doubled. They look completely seperate from the actual letters, but they are very lightly punched. Sort of like the phantom p errors on dimes. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

OP
OP
C

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
100_0787.JPG

Im not sure if this is the one im talking about or not, im looking through my quarters to try and find it. But you can see clear doubling on this one, but is it just machine doubling? Also how does everyone take up close pictures of their coins? i took this one through my loupe but it was hard to get a clear shot.

OP
OP
C

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
100_0793.JPG 100_0794.JPG

Ok here is the one I was talking about. Sorry the picture is fuzzy, but the C in america has the best view. thoughts anyone?

OP
OP
C

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
Oh okay thanks. Do you have any tips on differentiating between doubled dies and machine doubling? Sometimes I feel like my 10x loupe isn't quite strong enough to get a clear view.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the doubling is machine in nature the exact type of doubling on your coin, in my opinion is known as die deterioration doubling. Here is a link that will explain in detail along with pics of the various causes of machine doubling.....

Other Forms Of Doubling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread