Need help with The official Red book coin guide book

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
HI all, I have a question regarding using the R.S. Yeoman's Official Red Book 2007 coin guide. I recently dug what I believed to be a 1773 VA Halfpenny while detecting. The coin is very worn and hard to read. There is no mistaking the markings on the back for either a 1773 or 1774 VA penny or 1/2 penny. Tonight I have taken a closer look at it and the coloring and size better fit the 1774 Shilling. Are the pictures in the guide life size? Not trying to jump to conclusions but its driving me a bit nuts. I'm a newby so really appreciate all the help you can offer. Thanks in advance.

T

TreasureTales

I believe most of the coin types described in the Red Book include size and weight at the time of minting.

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Okay, Thanks for the help. Ill look into it further. Digging is only 1/2 the fun!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may seem like a dumb question but, can you tell if it is made of copper or silver? They are usually very easy to tell apart when they come out of the ground.

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
I know what you mean. It's hard to tell by appearance. It looks more copper to me but after seeing the book so does the silver shilling. The thing that made me question it was the blueish appearance. Also the book had 3 pictures and this coin is an exact fit in size as the shilling. That prompted me to ask about the book being calibrated for actual size. Would have been a great easy ID if so. ???

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the only reference to size of the pieces I found, the copper and silver pieces are the same size. The 6 pieces known of the silver are all proof indicating a pattern so it is unlikely any made it into circulation. The black and white pictures in the Red Book look similar, but in the metal they are vastly different. If yours looks copper then there is almost no chance of it being the silver variety. Regardless they are a fascinating piece of American history, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread