America stamped on RIM

tttwism

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this penny in my jar, any thoughts? also attached is a 1992-D that looks like it is doubled, again any thoughts. 2000 cent.png 1992-D cent.png

mijgeto1

May 7, 2013
Hello to every one I'm new here, but been collecting for a while. All I have to say is if this a true 1992 D 1 cent, u are lucky I took a look a the pics, and on the reverse u have here in a rare close AM 1992 D error ,,,,,,, google this error you will find that you hit the jackpot,,,

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
OP: Is the picture of the same coin (reverse/obverse)? My interpretation of your question is that you found a cent with AMERICA stamped on the rim and you also found a 1992 D Cent with doubling. Two separate coins with the photo showing the details side by side. If so, then the first cent is slightly off-center with no added premium. Only when a significant portion of the coin's details are missing is there a premium for error collectors. The second cent with the doubling is what is called machine doubling. No added value.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Diver, I think the OP is saying these are two different coins. I also agree with Diver's assessment of the coins with the first being just slightly off-center and the second being machine doubling.

OP
OP
tttwism

tttwism

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is "machine doubling" and how do you tell the difference? and yes these are 2 different coins.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine doubling is when the original die rotates or moves during the striking process due to mechanical issues during the process. A true double die is when the original die is actually doubled due to various reasons and then struck on the planchet to make the coins.

I am somewhat of a novice at this and the experts can correct me if wrong, but that is my understanding.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Agree with machine doubling. Also agree that this is two different coins as the OP stated. He stated the 92 d was doubled on the obverse and the other was doubled on the reverse. He don't have a 92 d close am

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread