1930 penny dye mistake? 0 looks like a slanted D

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6035.jpg I found this detecting but I do not know much about coins so I've been reading up trying to learn as much as I can. I was going through my coins looking for key dates and found this. Would this coin be worth much? What determins the worth of a coin?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Condition, Condition, Condition.

If this was a non-dug coin, it would be easier to give an opinion, but since this coin is so extremely damaged, its really hard to tell whether this is something with the die or if this is just damage.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a hit while in circulation if you search through enough cents you'll find others like it.....

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for getting back to me on that. I just love this webite I have allready learned so much from it.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find out i would be interested in knowing also, i have one that is similar.

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find out i would be interested in knowing also, i have one that is similar.

Nice pic. I need to work on my photo skills for sure. Under a loop thats more what mine looks like. I will let you know if I find anything out. Nice to see there is another similar coin like it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like was said, it took a hit. There is nothing to find out. It is post strike damage.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bikerjon, try posting on this website, the community seems very friendly and informed. I thought about posting mine just don't want to take them out again and get more pics of front, back, and rim.

Lincoln Cent Resource

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bikerjon, try posting on this website, the community seems very friendly and informed. I thought about posting mine just don't want to take them out again and get more pics of front, back, and rim.

Lincoln Cent Resource

I am a member of LCR. The coin opinion will be the same there. The zero took a hit and the metal was pushed the side. There is no step in the minting process that would cause it. Damage, pure and simple.
HH
enamel7

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member of LCR.

Good for you. I stick by my last post and commend him on trying to learn about the details surrounding his coin, especially since I have been too lazy to post it myself over there.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be my guest then. Not trying to argue, just that the OP asked about the coin and an answer was given. Just don't get his hopes up.
HH
enamel7

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
enamel7 is 100% correct. it's post mint damage.Both coins were damaged by a coin sorting machine, a vending machine etc etc. The metal on the device was pushed over from it's original position and now the damaged device is parallel with the rim. It's a taletale sign of "PMD"

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I mentioned that i was a rookie. The lesson I learned was to look at the coin upside down and all around. Looking at the coin straight on (under a loop)it looked fine but upside down I could see where the o ripped away from the coin and made it look like a D. I never thought it was possible for a coin to do this. I'm sure twiasp coin is not the same as mine. I'm sure his coin is worthy. Thanks for everyones input.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread