Morgans

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get one for around $25 that's a pretty good deal- most LCS in my area are around $30

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25 is a good deal. Problem is, 90% of people want collectors prices if they are selling whether for bullion or not.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Morgans always seem to be collectable rather than bullion in all but the worst grades, perhaps its all the VAM varieties, or perhaps its that its used extensively in jewelry and easy to sell to non-collectors.

Over here a common Morgan will cost about $30 at a coin shop, perhaps $25 if they have a lot and want to get rid of them (not likely today!)

Holed ones are marginally cheaper, but not by much. Honestly, right now if I was buying Morgans I'd buy the higher grade ones, a shop near me sells common date slabbed MS-63s for $60 or so.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds about right........$22-5 if you're selling......$25-30 if you're buying.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I went to one today. He wanted $25 each but he got to pick them. If I picked it was $28. I said why is that? He said cause some were better then others. If that were the case, then they should have not been laying on top of each other. I didn't buy any. That annoyed me.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to one today. He wanted $25 each but he got to pick them. If I picked it was $28. I said why is that? He said cause some were better then others. If that were the case, then they should have not been laying on top of each other. I didn't buy any. That annoyed me.

This is a common practice. All the shops in my area do this as well. It is kind of annoying.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a common practice. All the shops in my area do this as well. It is kind of annoying.

I just had this happen to me with some Walking Liberty halves except I wasn't even given the option of picking them out even at a higher face value multiple. I'll not buy junk silver from that dealer anymore considering I can go to another shop that just charges .5X's face more and I can pick through the stock.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just wait until silver goes down, if you are not in a rush. I bought a lot of Morgan and Peace dollars when silver was down, just a few years ago for under 10 bucks.

As the Economy improves, Gold and Silver will go back down. There is nothing worse than buying some, and having the value drop by 50% in a year. Just my thoughts. GL.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at a show today. One of the vendors was selling a Morgan slick for $22 which was the spot price at the time. He was validating it by saying it was a silver dollar. Thought about it for a second but I couldn't bring myself to purchase a slick at $5 over spot value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread