2013 cent die cracks and lamination errors?

tttwism

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for input on these pennies I have, I am not sure how to tell what things are damage, and what are not. I opened 2 rolls of new 2013 cents, and this is what I found. The cracks look and feel to be raised, but this is the best picture and the closest i can get to see. and for the lamination error, how can you tell?
2013 0bv lamination.jpg 2013 rev die crack sheild.jpg 2013 rev die crack.jpg 2013 rev extra metal top sheild.jpg 2013 rev lamination error.jpg

Last edited:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the best of my knowledge a lamination error cannot happen on a zinc cent, It can only happen on solid alloy planchets......

PART V. Planchet Errors:
Lamination:
Lamination Cracks
Definition: Lamination errors are planchet errors in which the surface of a coin cracks and flakes. It is generally believed that lamination errors are caused by contaminants in the alloy that cause the metal to separate along the horizontal plane. Lamination errors can develop before or after the strike. They are generally restricted to solid-alloy coins. The term "lamination error" is grammatically incorrect as the metal is actually delaminating. While "delamination error" would be the proper term, we're stuck with the terminology we've inherited from previous researchers.
Lamination errors are closely related to split planchets and clamshell splits. In the latter two errors, separation also occurs in the horizontal plane, but at a deeper level.
A lamination crack is one common manifestation of a lamination error. The surface of the coin simply cracks and may lift up slightly on one side. Lamination cracks are sometimes mistaken for die cracks and split dies by novice collectors.

http://www.error-ref.com/lamination-cracks.html

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything dramatic enough to be worth anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread