Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, before everyone yells at me and tells me its never right to clean coins, I am asking because I'm finding a lot of wheat pennies that are so corroded or petinad that I can't find a date on them. I just want to know what do others do to find out these dates, and how to get them to at least recognizable condition? I don't want them shiny and new looking, I just want to see that they are old Wheaties or other coins. Thank you!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you have time, soak them in mineral oil for a couple months. A couple days will help too.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple answer is you don't, professionals generally resort to a Q-Tip to gently remove dirt. For aesthetics or your own personal selection look up how to clean a coin, there are many methods but they mostly resort to permanent numismatic damage. If you want a shine and to ruin a good coin go for electrolysis........

Last edited:

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is right. In order to have ANY collector's worth, cleaning is a huge No-No.

However, for your own collection, or in order to pull a date off of older wheats and such, I usually use a warm Hydrogen Peroxide bath. Pour a small bowl of it, warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute (no coin in it at that time). Once it's out of the microwave, drop the coin in the solution and watch the magic start.

After 10 minutes or so, I usually take it out, use a q-tip (or toothpick when heavily crusted) to remove debris.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

However, keep in mind... ANY form of unprofessional cleaning is a sure fire way to lose ANY numismatic value what so ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread