Should I buy these coins? 8 Reales!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a craigslist ad for a few american coins and some newer foreign, the piece of interest is the old 8 reales coin that I see..I don't have a picture of the other side of the coin..Going to meet the guy today..I offered him 20 dollars and he said 25 and its a deal (for all)..Said he got the coins from his fathers travels and the error penny came in his change. He doesn't have another image of the other side of the coins and I don't want to bring too much attention to the 8 reales coin, otherwise he may look it up. Hes in his 50's and doesn't know much about coins. What do you guys think of this at first glance? Either way i will see when I meet him later today..Thanks
8reales.JPG

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it will be a small gamble to me lol

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The 8 Reales could very easily be a cast fake. From looking at the enlarged image, it looks like a cast fake to me (rough surfaces, pitting and somewhat "mushy" details) although I'm far from an expert in Spanish coinage.

The 8 reales coins are very commonly faked as tourist coins or "pirate" coins and to a casual collector or a non-collector they might think that it was genuine coin and have no intent to deceive.

But you'll have to make the decision for yourself when it comes to if you want to purchase the lot or not.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL your right austin, i got the lot, turned out it was just a "Copy" coin but still cool none the less, he also found a silver 1957 dime for me to have for free, overall not bad and the error penny is awesome! Thanks for the advice guys! Keep your eyes out for copies!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
OnARoll, homie, bring a magnet, (and a gun just incase). dawg, you shouldnt have bought them if'n you saw COPY on it. I would have called him a fool and left him with his clad, and of traded a clad dime for his Ag one just so he'd have even more clad.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OnARoll, homie, bring a magnet, (and a gun just incase). dawg, you shouldnt have bought them if'n you saw COPY on it. I would have called him a fool and left him with his clad, and of traded a clad dime for his Ag one just so he'd have even more clad.

Haha thanks I'm gonna stick to crh from now on, these craigslist deals aren't as fun!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens over and over and over again. One fake item in the group to make it look good, and as long as there's not too much money involved the buyer takes a chance, and the scammer wins.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens over and over and over again. One fake item in the group to make it look good, and as long as there's not too much money involved the buyer takes a chance, and the scammer wins.

Very good point!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What does the other side of the 8R look like?
If authentic, the coin was produced between 1733 and 1747; 27+ grams of 0.9170 pure silver (0.7980 oz. ASW).
The date is below the globes on the reverse.
Don....

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the other side of the 8R look like?
If authentic, the coin was produced between 1733 and 1747; 27+ grams of 0.9170 pure silver (0.7980 oz. ASW).
The date is below the globes on the reverse.
Don....

I'll snap a photo of it and weight it for you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions