I know, its a Newbie question

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I know this is a newbie question and I'm sorry if its completely obvious but. . .

Is it safe to say that most MDers are coin collectors as well? And does collecting come as a natural progression of finding rare coins or it too becomes a hobby because thats what the majority of finds are?

Do most who find rare coins and jewelry sell it or do most keep what they find?

thanks

Toby

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
My 2 cents. In my opinion No. Most MDers are not true coin collectors. Coin collectors collect coins for fun- Mders detect coins for fun.- Some are but most just like to dig old stuff and show/display our finds. It is the thrill and enjoyment of finding old stuff- any old stuff. Any coin collector would have a very hard time filling out his collection with coins found. There is also the condition of the coins. Being in the ground for 100-150 years makes for poor coin condition and makes a lot of coins have greatly reduced value and are not collectible to a coin collector.

You have to realize that your first priority in this hobby is having fun not profit. If you find something valuable (rare coin) consider it a bonus. Viewing it as a money making venture will doom you to failure in this hobby.

Do folks sell? Depends on the individual. Folks selling their coins and jewelry on E bay or elsewhere is not uncommon. Very rare and valuable finds end up at auction houses. However, rare coins are just that rare. They are not something you find everyday. A gold coin for most will be a once in a lifetime find and unless it has great value few will want to part with it. I can not part with a lot of my finds because they mean more than the money to me. A memory of a great hunt with friends- trophies?. The guy who spent all weekend in the rain and mud to find a seated dime is not going to sell it for $20 to a coin dealer on Monday.

George

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks George

you answered my questions fully!

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi toby.
I used to collect victorian pennies from one armed bandits on the pier
when I was a school boy and I agree with everything George said.

HH dave.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I was not one bit interested in coin collecting when I first started detecting. As I found older coins, I cared enough to conduct some simple research as I was very interested in learning a particular coins' history. Few dug coins have ever made it to the collection but don't think for a minute that a coin can't pop out of the ground in AU or XF condition, it does happen, but not often.

Rare coins, by true definition, are seldom found in dirt. However, some detectorists would consider any pre 1965 coin as "rare".

It was a natural progression for me but not as a result of what I have dug.

Would you sell it or keep it? Good question! Probably a 50/50 split reply if you recieved a gazillion replies. If I ever found a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, it would be gone in a heartbeat. Yes, it would fit in just fine with my collection but, I could do so much more adding to my overall collection with the proceeds!

Jamie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question! When I first started detecting at age 13, I was already an avid coin collector. I never have sold a coin I've found with my detector. Coin collecting was my original motivation for getting into the hobby, but I must say that I was quickly hooked on buttons, bullets, and relics too! So which comes first? Egg or chicken? Sometimes it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I do think, however, that most MDists are not coin collectors for several reasons. I have seen a lot of damaged, polished, field-cleaned, scratched, or otherwise ruined silver coins on this site. I wish it weren't so. A coin collector would recognize his role in the preservation and caretaking of what he has found. If he doesn't sell it during his lifetime, his children or their children may. Either way, someone later on will wish it hadn't been scratched or cleaned. Back in 1993, I was with my original huntin' buddy when he chopped an uncirculated 1840's Seated Liberty Quarter in half with his shovel because of improper pinpointing. I think I was sick for a week after watching that. It was at least MS-62. Such a beautiful coin. It's never been about the money for me, although I've heard people on this site before complaining about the money they've spent for batteries and gasoline driving to and hunting at sites where they've had poor luck. We don't go to movies and worry about how we're gonna make back the amount we spent on the film and the popcorn :-\ If I ever found a valuable one, I'd keep it. It'll be an heirloom someday, and much more valuable then than now. It's the fun and excitment of history that fuels me.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Yes, what buckleboy said! His thoughts have reminded me about coins that I have found in the field. The first temptation is to get to that date, no matter what...spit on the coin, rub it with your fingers, rub it against your pant leg, whatever it takes to get to the date and/or mint mark. I have since learned that my field cleaning effort is no different than using 80 grit sand paper to reveal what I MUST know right then and there.

My field cleaning is the very reason that few of my dug coins have made it to the collection folders.

Jamie

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I have always been a coin collector and in recent years started to metal detect. I think most md'ers do pay some attention to the coins they find or what would be the point???
When I joined a md'er club I found that a few of the members were also in the local coin club( which I too am) So from my experience md'ing and coin collecting are somewhat related... Do both!!!!!!
Greg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being knowledgeable at both is a great recommendation! Excellent suggestion Greg, and thanks for your post!

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice in some of the pics that you'll come across, most people will display something like a paper clip, a rusty Timex, or half a pair of prescription glasses next to a two hundred year old coin in their days finds. I've kept two year old pennies that i've found in the sand just because i found them with my detector. The same coin that I wouldn't bend over to pick up in the street becomes special. Think about that and have a blast.

Mike

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, These are all wonderful pieces of advice! I must say that I really didn't think about the aspects of becoming a coin collector when I made the decsion to but a detector, but as I read and study and of course ask questions, my passion grows for wanting to keep the things that I find (granted if a $10,000 coin comes my way, its sold baby!!). I know that a great deal of care should be taken when cleaning coins or anything that you take out of the ground that has been there for numerous years. That will be my goal, clean with care!

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I strongly urge you to atleast study coins. As many have said, the coins you dig are generally not collector quality, but they are special.

The reason I suggest studying coins is their history. There is a huge wealth of knowlege to be gained by studying the history and design, and politics of coins. They give you a very good understanding of what was happening at that time in history. Then use the knowlege to determine where you are going to metal detect, and get an idea of what else may be there. Coin design, type, size, metal composition and number of coins minted, including denomination gives you a great feel of economic conditions and gathering places. It also helps you identify "what else" may be in an area. If you find a higher denomination coin that has a low mintage, chances are you are in an area where people were financially well off, and there will be tons of other coins and potential other treasures near by.

Everyone dropped something, but when something real good was dropped, there had to be someone that could afford that back then......

Everything you dig will give you clues to the historical events where you are, but coins can give you ideas of where to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread