Are proof sets worth it???

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
As the title says, my question is, are proof sets worth buying. I have been collecting coins since I was 6 years old and have never purchased a proof set. I am currently looking at purchasing proof sets of the America the Beautiful quarter sets, which I will probably get regardless. However, I am trying to decide whether to get the entire years proof set and maybe start a collection of proofs or just getting the ATB proofs. I did some research and you can still get proof sets from the 60s and 70s for under 10 dollars so other than inflation they really have not increased in value. Just wanted to get yalls thoughts on the subject.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on what you want. I think they look cool, but no one can tell you what you can and should collect. It is your collection, do what you want.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the others, collect what you enjoy. I think you answered your own question regarding collecting ordinary proof sets as an investment. Personally, I bought my kids proof sets for their birth year, but otherwise stay away from them. I prefer toned, circulated coins and that's what I mostly buy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're buying them because you like them, great, have at it. If you're buying them for investment purposes, it would be better to buy the key dates in the higher grades of just about any series.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends.

Most proof sets priced on the secondary market are pretty decently priced and while I wouldn't say they're going to increase dramatically in value (values have stayed rather stagnate over the years aside from an increase in silver over the years that's boosted the pre-64 ones, silver proof sets and the '65-70 proof/SMS sets)

Personally I don't see any major decrease in the price of proof sets anytime soon so I wouldn't say they'd be something that you'd get ripped off of buying.

The key with the older proof sets, especially with the 1965-1967 SMS sets and most of the pre-'64 sets is quality.

For example, this Franklin half is a fairly common proof example and might be worth a small premium over spot

mllQEoB2nPyj2jmi3NK2k2g.jpg

On the other hand, this Franklin half is a very well struck deep-cameo proof and could sell for anywhere from $30+

1950-franklin.jpg

If you cherry-pick nicely struck coins, collecting some of the earlier sets would be a fun challenge. Anymore though, modern proof sets are struck to such high quality and MS-68/69 deep cameo coins are the rule rather than the exception.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends.

Most proof sets priced on the secondary market are pretty decently priced and while I wouldn't say they're going to increase dramatically in value (values have stayed rather stagnate over the years aside from an increase in silver over the years that's boosted the pre-64 ones, silver proof sets and the '65-70 proof/SMS sets)

Personally I don't see any major decrease in the price of proof sets anytime soon so I wouldn't say they'd be something that you'd get ripped off of buying.

The key with the older proof sets, especially with the 1965-1967 SMS sets and most of the pre-'64 sets is quality.

For example, this Franklin half is a fairly common proof example and might be worth a small premium over spot

On the other hand, this Franklin half is a very well struck deep-cameo proof and could sell for anywhere from $30+

If you cherry-pick nicely struck coins, collecting some of the earlier sets would be a fun challenge. Anymore though, modern proof sets are struck to such high quality and MS-68/69 deep cameo coins are the rule rather than the exception.

That 1950 DCAM Franklin half is a $3,000 to $5,000 coin in PCGS plastic by the way so i would say a little more than $30 on that one......

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Just a clarification about toning that TheCoinKid made in this thread . I have complete proof and mint sets from about 1963 up to the mid seventies and toning can be found on some of these . They also contain some beautiful deep Cameo as well . So if you find the right strikes they will have luster , cameo and toning. And some of these coins individually have a higher value singly than sold as a set . IMHO , Woodstock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread