Roman coin?

Eirene

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...I know this is a long shot, however, with all the knowledge here I thought perhaps someone may be able to tell if this is a roman coin. It was found in a box of items along with some other coins that were my grandfathers. I am sure that it originated somewhere in the UK as that is where he lived. From the photo's it is hard to tell but there is a head facing right on the obverse and a figure on the reverse wearing a long robe,the head extends to the top of the coin and the right arm is extended out to the edge of the coin. It is not magnetic. I have a few others that look like a copper alloy, they are quite thin and worn. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg Rim.jpg

Edit: Forgot to add the dimensions. 5/8 inch / 15.8750mm wide. 1/8 inch /3.1750mm rim

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Roman coins are not as hard to find as you might think. Although I'm not an expert on them, and I don't even know if it is the design of a Roman coin, they typically are not worth very much. there was once a small coin shop in my neck of the woods, that sold them at a rather cheap cost.

OP
OP
E

Eirene

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick response 50cent. I have no interest in the monetary value more of a historical interest.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, looks to be a Roman coin of some sort, can't help you much with the identification, maybe someone from the UK or Europe could better help you as they're used to digging and identifying worn coins like yours.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would say you do have a Roman coin, one that looks to have been harshly cleaned, and almost impossible to Id correctly. As for the value on Roman coins, it's like any other, the more that's been found of that type...the less rare it is.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread