Bought incomplete 1877 IH cent

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Uh, today I bought a beat up, bent, corroded and incomplete IH penny at an auction. It's labeled as an 1877 and, though the date is very, very hard to read, for the purposes of this post, let's assume that's what it is. Obviously it's in worse than horrible condition, starting with the fact that there's a small chunk of the coin missing. All of that being said, what exactly should a guy with a coin like this??? Is there any value, again assuming that it is actually an 1877?

I'm very new at this and any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also overpaid at the auction for a couple of other coins and need to find a way to figure out either a) current coin prices while at the auction or b) what's going to be at the auction before I get there so that I can do a little research.

Thanks is advance.

Attachments

• P1110180.JPG
    P1110180.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 191

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't assume, by what you see it either is, or isn't, or is inconclusive... and inconclusive falls in the same category as isn't. Until you can categorically confirm it's 1877 you're at zero plus what someone might pay to take a chance, like you. (So really, zero)

Last edited:

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't assume, by what you see it either is, or isn't, or is inconclusive... and inconclusive falls in the same category as isn't. Until you can categorically confirm it's 1877 you're at zero plus what someone might pay to take a chance, like you. (So really, zero)

Well said. If I were to assume I would only be making an azz outta you and me!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very new at this and any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also overpaid at the auction for a couple of other coins and need to find a way to figure out either a) current coin prices while at the auction or b) what's going to be at the auction before I get there so that I can do a little research.

Thanks is advance.

Well since I don't know if you have a phone with internet access,
or a computer you carry with, I can only suggest if you do,
Use Ebay completed listings, as your looking over the coins.

This should at least give you an Idea of Maximum values.
and if you look at conditions on there & compare it can help you grade them
in at least a general sense.

IF you are like me & don't carry computer software with you,
pick up "THE OFFICIAL REDBOOK" A Guide Book of United States Coins 2013: The Official Redbook (Covered Coil) by R. S Yeoman | 9780794836795 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

I don't consider them accurate on what dealers pay, but the book is used by many collectors as
an accurate idea of book values.

[for what Dealers pay: although probably not accurate, what I do:
look at redbook an 1877 Indian in Good-4 condition is $900.00
so figure a Dealer will generally offer half or somewhere there abouts
so $400.00 would be what I'd expect to have to beat to get it at an auction
]

On your 1877 no idea :dontknow: but it's worth what someone will pay so :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Jeff - thanks, that's what I'm going to try and do from here on out.

IP / Josh - It's an 1877, it's just also a complete piece of crap. I was trying to weed out the "I can't see the '77 in the picture" comments. Being such a key date but in seriously abused condition I don't really know what to do with it. I paid $1.10 for it, including commission, so I can't have gone that far wrong. Thanks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff - thanks, that's what I'm going to try and do from here on out.

IP / Josh - It's an 1877, it's just also a complete piece of crap. I was trying to weed out the "I can't see the '77 in the picture" comments. Being such a key date but in seriously abused condition I don't really know what to do with it. I paid $1.10 for it, including commission, so I can't have gone that far wrong. Thanks.

You obviously won it that cheap because the seller did not prove, or even come close to proving it was 1877. To have value you will have to do what he could not. Also, most sellers, if they honestly believed it was 1877, would protect themselves... but when they are tryng to pull a fast one there's no risk in letting an auction run, and in the end if the winner complains (no matter what price) the seller can counter with you seen the pics and I started it at nothing, and you decided to bid.

Last edited:

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
A good price guide app is coin book pro. It works on iPhone not sure of other phones.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good price guide app is coin book pro. It works on iPhone not sure of other phones.

As far as I can tell I cant find coin book pro on android- it was a great ap on the iPhone- also cant find coinflation on android

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it has value......exactly what you paid for it.......$1.10.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread