How can you tell if coin album pages have pvc in them?

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Until a member pipes in - you aren't the only one concerned - Does PVC really damage coins? (Sep 26, 2009)

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the brand. If its a known, reputable brand such as Dansco, it won't have PVC. If its a coin album with no name on it, its really hard to know. If you're going to stick your coins in albums, its worth buying a decent one so you know your coin will be protected.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I read somewhere that after a certain amount of time the PVC leaches out, or evaporates, or something. Basically, if the plastic is very stiff, it doesn't contain PVC anymore.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't a coin album on the market i would ever think of storing my coins in not only are they not airtight,they will over time tone the coins. Nothing wrong with a good toner but taking the chance and possibly ruining a whole album of great coins is not something i wanna try especially with my nicer coins. The best storing method for raw and slabbed coins alike is to place them in air-tights with the foam ring because i find the direct fit air-tights are too hard to remove the coin from if need be. I then place the coins that are inside airtights or slabs in food grade tupperware bins because anything food grade will not contain harmful PVC and lastly i like to throw in some silica packs to control humidity and moisture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread