Spanish coin found

S

srdraftcad

Hi everyone

I found this coin in 1996 in a Spanish abandoned fort. I went to the local coin dealer and He told me that that coin is a "Maraveli" or some spanish coin of 1545. I would like to know what really coin it is. Can somebody help me here in this forum? Thank in Advance

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Spanish Maravedis are made of copper or bronze. They are a smaller denomination; 16 Maravedis makes one reale. This is a great find, though, and may indicate a presence of silver and/or gold coins. Keep hunting!

OP
OP
S

srdraftcad

Thanks Lab Rat for that information. The next trip I will be visiting that place again, is in Puerto Rico. Also I spoke with a local archaeologist and he told me there is in that place an archaeology garbage dump or an ancient garbage dump. (?)

Nice find Sam! Sounds like there could be alot of good stuff to be found at that fort. I have found lots of goodies in old dump sites. Curious, what are the laws like in Puerto Rico towards Treasure hunting? Is the fort an archeaological site? Let us know what else you find in the future.
H.H. Dave.

OP
OP
S

srdraftcad

Hi [email protected]

Let me tell you to start, because this hobby is not to big in demand, I means, you don't see many Tr's hunter detecting in the beach, may be you could be the only one that day. Only in U.S. National Park you cannot detect, if you are caught, you won't go to the jail, the Puerto Rican there are very "flexible" in behaviour that they can give you a verbal warning first, anyway don't detect in US park.

The place where I found this coins is in northern area of the Old San Juan. Around that Island you can detect without problem. it is public place. You will find many ruins abandoned without the goverment's care and anybody can detect,dig a hole over and over again.

The only little stuff (without prejuice) you can see is;some guys around that abandoned fort practicing "homo-sexual activities" and you should be carefull( I don't feel confortable) but it is sometime. :roll:

Tips: All Spanish Fort are US National park.Here names:

San Felipe-El Morro, located Old SJ
San Cristobal " " "
All Spanish Fort, but the fort where I found the coin. Most them located in SJ.

One the best place to detect are beaches. You can find "a lots currency" and many curious watching you.

The best beaches to detect are:

*Luquillo Beach-Easternside of PR.
*Escanbron beach-SJ
*Boqueron beach- Cabo Rojo (carry with you Mosquito repelant)
*Isla Verde-SJ
*Ocean Park (My favorite) SJ. $20.00 min. in currency to find.
*Vega Baja Beach-Northern side, Vega Baja town.

Puerto Rico is a US Territory, you don't need visa or passport, the people are very gentle with tourist, many speak english, the currency is US, temperature is "SUMMER TIME WHOLE YEAR" even in january.
If you need more inf. let me know. I hope help you with this information.

OP
OP
S

srdraftcad

Coins found in Combate Beach in less one hour,Cabo Rojo

OP
OP
S

srdraftcad

Hi Dave
Since Puerto Rico belong to USA, 1898 all currency there are US, after that are Spanish coins, silver,maravedi and more but these spanish coins are hard to find them.

OP
OP
S

srdraftcad

Correction!

after that are Spanish coins, silver,maravedi and more but these spanish coins are hard to find them.

isn't "after" it is "before"

"before" that are Spanish coins, silver,maravedi and more but these spanish coins are hard to find them.

When I go to MD I use for coinshooting my MD, but when I go to detect gold I use my LRL. Both are "buddy" on field

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread