pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with jeff of pa I'm no expert.. worth about 5 bucks to 6.50 I would say..

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I would agree with jeff of pa I'm no expert.. worth about 5 bucks to 6.50 I would say..

No, it's worth a lot more than that. $100+ and i would put it a little better grade on it
If you don't mind us asking, what did you pay for it?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like the color around the mint mark. Not really likely on a coin of that grade, but the coin industry does have a history of soldering on mint marks...

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are crazy to buy the one of the most counterfeited coins unslabbed and for what its worth it looks to be an added mint mark hope im wrong for your sake.......:icon_pale:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would not have purchased such a coin over the net [ even slabbed] . As I have heard recently fake coins in fake NGC & PCGS slab's and the D is kinda suspect [with the dark halo around it] . For your sake I hope it's the real deal, It def, needs to be authenticated but pray you don't loose more money doing that if the coin is not real. GOOD LUCK....P.S. IMO It grades from Good to vg from what I can see in the pic's

OP
OP
F

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it turns out to be fake I will report the guy to Ebay. He had alot of positive feedback so it looks like he sells on there frequently. Hopefully it turns out real.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it turns out to be fake I will report the guy to Ebay. He had alot of positive feedback so it looks like he sells on there frequently. Hopefully it turns out real.

Good to hear , hope it all works out in the end. :thumbsup:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would not have purchased such a coin over the net [ even slabbed] . As I have heard recently fake coins in fake NGC & PCGS slab's and the D is kinda suspect [with the dark halo around it] . For your sake I hope it's the real deal, It def, needs to be authenticated but pray you don't loose more money doing that if the coin is not real. GOOD LUCK....P.S. IMO It grades from Good to vg from what I can see in the pic's

The trick is to have a 300x microscope so you can very plainly make out the solder that was used to attach the mint mark, its the only way to be certain as the washington quarter series does not have much to go on as far as die markers go. I have posted this link before and I'll post it again for anyone who seeks to know more about the series, its a free book on the internet.

counterfeits_5and6.jpg

(LEFT) - GENUINE 1932-D MINTMARK SHOWN AT 300X MAGNIFICATION. THE CONTINUOUS FLOW LINES AND LACK OF SEAM ARE PROOF OF THIS MINTMARKS AUTHENTICITY. (ANAAB) (RIGHT) - THE MINTMARK ON THIS 1932-D HAS OBVIOUSLY BEEN ADDED. NOTE THE SEAM OF THE COIN AND THE MINTMARK AS SHOWN HERE AT 300X MAGNIFICATION. (ANAAB)......

Washington Quarters > Ch. 2 > Altered & Counterfeit Coins | David Lawrence Rare Coins Blog

The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters | David Lawrence Rare Coins Blog

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give it a solid VG. Good is currently around $95 so you did fine..........as long as it's genuine.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the color around the mint mark. Not really likely on a coin of that grade, but the coin industry does have a history of soldering on mint marks...

Just to chime in...

It's really common to see that dark halo around the mintmark on these older (especially worn) Washingtons. While there are some fakes out there, yours looks legit. The mintmark is the right size and shape and in the right place and has wear consistent with rest of the coin. Based on the PCGS Photograde Ap, your coin should grade F12. It has full rims except for a small part of the reverse. For $95, you paid about the right price. Getting it slabbed prob won't add a lot of value, but will at least prove it genuine. If you can submit it with several other coins to get a cheap per coin slabbing cost, it would be worthwhile. I don't think you took much risk in buying a raw '32D in this grade. If it were MS that would be a different story. I just bought an 1893 S Morgan and I also own a '16d Merc (both PCGS). I would NEVER buy either of those coins raw. It all just depends on the value & likelihood of being altered.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to chime in...

It's really common to see that dark halo around the mintmark on these older (especially worn) Washingtons. While there are some fakes out there, yours looks legit. The mintmark is the right size and shape and in the right place and has wear consistent with rest of the coin. Based on the PCGS Photograde Ap, your coin should grade F12. It has full rims except for a small part of the reverse. For $95, you paid about the right price. Getting it slabbed prob won't add a lot of value, but will at least prove it genuine. If you can submit it with several other coins to get a cheap per coin slabbing cost, it would be worthwhile. I don't think you took much risk in buying a raw '32D in this grade. If it were MS that would be a different story. I just bought an 1893 S Morgan and I also own a '16d Merc (both PCGS). I would NEVER buy either of those coins raw. It all just depends on the value & likelihood of being altered.

Im not so much concerned with the halo as you are right that is certainly common but if you look at the mint mark it appears to be filled meaning the center of the D is not defined, almost like a filled mint mark. What are your thoughts on that, not trying to argue at all just wanting to hear your opinion.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a collection recently that inlcuded 2 1932 S quarters. I know that PCGS sends out people to the thrice annual Long Beach Coin Show. I am thinking of taking it in to get an unpaid professional opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread