jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably length of time lost, Since all three should have the same content.

the 67 looks like it spent the least amount of time under ground

the 2000 the most

the 65 is odd & looks silver, but some of those 65's appear that way.
not sure why. how does the edge look ? ?

and as for cleaning , they are not rare dates, so clean away

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only a possibility, Ground sometimes gets turned over Or covered with fill.

Years ago I had a spot where indians were just under the soil, But
wheats were 6" to 10" deep.

There really is no uniformity on age lost vs, depth.

I also wouldn't rule out, they may have been lost by age,
the 65 first, but Ground content was kinder at that depth :dontknow:

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange ----Twilight Zone music playing in my head.

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue why this happened. I guess the material in them is the same and therefore all three coins should come out clean in the same way. Maybe these tips on cleaning coins can help, someone posted this in another thread.... of recent I have been reading about how to clean coins without damaging them. My nephew, who is fond of collecting dimes, got a great deal on a mercury dime that has been in circulation. The coin is tarnished. Just trying to help him bring shine to the coin and a smile on his face :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The edge look clad but its weird it was deeper then the 2000
All things being equal, the '65 SHOULD be deeper than the 2000. As mentioned, coins can be found at all depths depending on ground conditions and when they were dropped, As for cleaning them and how they turn out, it's a crap shoot. Some will come out clean as the day they were minted. Others never will look good. Time in the gound, condition of the coin when dropped, minerals in the soil, moisture, etc, will all play a part. If they're just clad, don't spend any time or any substantial money cleaning them. A short ride in the tumbler is all mine ever see. Just enough so they'll pass through the Coinstar without jamming.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
No clue why this happened. I guess the material in them is the same and therefore all three coins should come out clean in the same way. Maybe these tips on cleaning coins can help, someone posted this in another thread.... of recent I have been reading about how to clean coins without damaging them. My nephew, who is fond of collecting dimes, got a great deal on a mercury dime that has been in circulation. The coin is tarnished. Just trying to help him bring shine to the coin and a smile on his face :)

There is no good way of cleaning coins without damage. However, if your nephew has a coin just worth melt, use the baking soda and aluminum foil method (you can find it using google).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread