Mercury dimes

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came a crossed my Dad's folder of Mercury Dimes. He passed away in '95 and they have no sentimental value to me. It is missing. 1916-D, 1917-D, 1920-S, 1921-D,1927-D, 1927-S, & 1937-D. All seem to be in G. To VG condition, but this is only my novice opinion.
I looked on Coin Tracker to get values on 14 of the ones that look to be VG to me. High value totals $910. However I also checked on Coin Study and Coinflation and the values are not the same. Is The Red Book the "Bible" for coin dealers?
The big question; do I take them to a dealer to see what they would give for the whole collection or take them in a few at a time? I, of course want to get the most money that I can for them.
I don't want to do the online auction route as I have no expertise in grading the coins and would not want to mis-represent in their values.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations. I know many will have different suggestions but I can think of no better place to get such a variety of opinions.
Thanks

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take them to a couple different coin shops- get a couple different views and opinions- take notes on what each ones says-
That way you have a better overall view on what shape and value the couns have

just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I've had many mercury sets and I hate to disappoint you but without the key dates its only worth a little over melt.
Your key dates are of course 1916d, 1921, 1921d and 1931d
There's also a few other minor dates but won't make a difference.
I'm going to say eBay would be your best bet and you "might" get $175 or so since you have one of the 1921's

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't use Cointrackers. Seriously, I don't know where the guy that runs it gets his values from, but they aren't accurate in the slightest.

The Redbook is a good -retail- price guide, it is excellent for telling you what you can expect to pay at a coin shop (more or less, no shop uses it exactly) but doesn't tell you what a coin dealer would pay. The Blue Book is more of a guideline for wholesale prices (what dealers will pay you) but the Blue Book has less information for collectors and more information for dealers (for example, the Red Book gives advice about storage of coins, information about the design of the coin and lots of pictures while the Blue Book is mostly just strictly values)

Unless you've got any key dates (and it looks like they're all missing) a dealer is only going to offer you melt for them... Considering that silver just hit its lowest price in the past couple of years today... Well, its up to you if you want to sell, but you'll be getting a lot less for them than if you would have sold them just a month ago.

OP
OP
Maburger

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for the information. Other than the online searches, I was totally clueless. After the searches, I was just confused. I'll put them up for my Grandkids,8,5 & 3. Maybe when the kids are old, they might be worth something. As my Daddy used to say" they aint eating anything!"

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll put them up for my Grandkids,8,5 & 3. Maybe when the kids are old, they might be worth something. As my Daddy used to say" they aint eating anything!"

Thats an awesome idea- theyll love em

just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look the '42P and '42D over real close to see if you may have an overdate. Other than that, the '21P is the only one worth more than $10 in VG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread