Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder what commodity would be better than gold or silver coins for trade in that situation.
My neighbor has an extra supply of toilet paper, but he wants nothing to do with my silver. He will however, trade for some of my water sterilization tablets.

What happens if the govt calls for confiscation of gold and silver coin in the event of a collapse, or, prohibits any type of trade using gold or silver US coin? Never say never.

OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what commodity would be better than gold or silver coins for trade in that situation.
My neighbor has an extra supply of toilet paper, but he wants nothing to do with my silver. He will however, trade for some of my water sterilization tablets.

What happens if the govt calls for confiscation of gold and silver coin in the event of a collapse, or, prohibits any type of trade using gold or silver US coin? Never say never.
SALT!!! It was worth its weight in gold during the Civil War

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver is the best investment in the long run! However, it will take a lot more to purchase an item or items than Gold but I would still stick with the Silver.

Frank

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the best ones would be low-denomination, recognizable coins. In the US I think the absolute best would be Mercury dimes because they are:

1) Always silver (people are used to seeing Roosies in their pocket change, they might not realize that they made silver ones)
2) Affordable (no more premium over silver Roosies for most dates/conditions at my LCS)
3) Low denomination (could be basically the next $1 or $2 dollar bill in a PM based economy)

For gold I think 1/10 oz Kuggerrands would be good (low premium, recognizable, smaller denomination) although I think wearable gold jewellery might be a good hedge because it would be easy to wear as you flee the US.

But I think realistically what would be used for the bulk of transactions would be a more stable currency from another country (perhaps the Renminbi or Canadian Dollar?), after all, that's what is used in fiscally unstable countries today such as Argentina and Zimbabwe where the US dollar, British Pound, Euro and South African Rand are used.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
US silver would be most recognized. You may need ammo to shoot small and large game. And if you have PM's, you may be expected to share the wealth. Good luck.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
If its a bad economic crash then people are going to hold on to what counts, food, water, ammo, medicine. That should be your 1st thing to invest in before dumping any money into metals. How many people do you think would care about metals when the delivery trucks aren't refilling the stores with supplies, not many. Before any real trade begins to happen we would probably have a period of months of people who just want the basics to get by. During that time metals will be useless if there is no sign of things getting better, people would rather hold onto their supplies of food. Metals will be good once things start getting somewhat back to normal but how long could that take, I wonder how many people will be found starved to death sitting on a mountain of silver because that is all they counted on to save them. My advice is to take what you use today to live and invest in that until you have at least 6 months worth. If you have some extra funds then go ahead and buy some Mercury dimes but get the basics first. I agree what was said above about ammo, look how hard it is to find ammo today and we are supposedly in a recovery, imagine how hard it will be to find if the economy really crashes, that will be worth its weight in gold.

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most likely consequence if the economy collapses will be gold and silver confiscation and we have already seen that during 1933. Guess if you have a home with a backyard big enough to grow some food, you can count yourself lucky.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's where the ammunition comes in to play.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread