South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow
Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone! I found this 1814 Capped Bust Dime yesterday while metal detecting and was wondering if anyone had a best guess at its approximate value. From a little online research, I think it is the Large Date version and is a 'StatesofAmerica' variation. I couldn't find any exactly like this one for sale online.
I accidentally caused some damage when digging it up and am interested in how bad you guys think this will affect the value. Also, do you think this coin is worth sending out for grading?
I am very new to this hobby, so please go easy on me. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image-2683713293.jpg
    image-2683713293.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 191
  • image-3928598290.jpg
    image-3928598290.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 185

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I see dug coins my advice would be to not send it in for grading because they almost all come back a genuine but details coin. The coin in question however would have been the rare exception to the rule given its potential value although this is where i have to break the bad news unfortunately the damage is going to affect the value significantly. It also looks as though you may have incorrectly cleaned it as well which further decreases the value although you could just as well have dug it up that way? Without the damage and cleaning it would have been a several hundred dollar coin with the damage and cleaning im thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 plus......

P.S. Nice find.......:occasion14:

OP
OP
Spoonman

Spoonman

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2013
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow
Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually when I see dug coins my advice would be to not send it in for grading because they almost all come back a genuine but details coin. The coin in question however would have been the rare exception to the rule given its potential value although this is where i have to break the bad news unfortunately the damage is going to affect the value significantly. It also looks as though you may have incorrectly cleaned it as well which further decreases the value although you could just as well have dug it up that way? Without the damage and cleaning it would have been a several hundred dollar coin with the damage and cleaning im thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 plus......

P.S. Nice find.......:occasion14:

Thanks for the response! I had a feeling the damage would affect it greatly. Figures that the first coin I ever damage would be the only one potentially worth anything. The only cleaning I did, was pour water over the coin. I did not rub it or scrub it with anything. Thanks again for the advice.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's a great coin aswell and hope the mark won't effect the price. Easily VF. Super find!
Wicka

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin in fact is an 1814 Capped Bust Dime JR-5 Variety with Crosslet "4" and has a rarity of R6! It would likely grade as VF-35 details but have an annotation of having a harshly cleaned Obverse along with damage to the Reverse Rim and Fields. This variety in VF-30 is valued by PCGS at $950 but the O.P.'s coin would take a significant hit in value due to the harsh cleaning and damage. In any case, it is a great find and one that the O.P. should be proud of, no matter what!

Frank

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find, not calculating the damage in i would say this coin is around VF to XF, probably somewhere in the middle like a 40. looking at about 160 to 320 bucks. www. coinstudy.com

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find spoonman. To bad about the damage but it doesn't really matter since you will probably be keeping it. I know for me it would be in my collection till it got passed on.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
A beautiful coin and rare find. But it looks like someones thumb was used to swipe the dirt off of the front.

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!! Good find, hope I find one one day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread