Did i just find a proof while metal detecting?

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting around a river and stumbled upon a small silver coin. I washed the dirt off and it was an Australian three pence dated 1959. When i looked at the coin, it seemed to be very shiny and when looked at, at an angle, the background seems more shiny and polished then the letters and wheat (you can't see this on the photos). Could this be a proof coin?
threepence.png
1959 Proof Threepence Values | BLUE SHEET

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was metal detecting around a river and stumbled upon a small silver coin. I washed the dirt off and it was an Australian three pence dated 1959. When i looked at the coin, it seemed to be very shiny and when looked at, at an angle, the background seems more shiny and polished then the letters and wheat (you can't see this on the photos). Could this be a proof coin?
View attachment 846894
1959 Proof Threepence Values | BLUE SHEET

Only a 1,506 were made, and they are worth $110. I think there's a chance, but it's slim.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from your photos. Even with great photos it might be hard to determine an impaired proof with an early state circulated business strike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread