1941s error

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only reason I think it is because you can still see the hairline in the gouge. If someone pressed it or scrapped it out somehow wouldn't that not be there? image.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it looks like something was on the die when the coin was stamped and then came off later. Interesting find.

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any value? Your personal opinion. I couldn't find any else like it online so would that make it one of a kind?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It definitely looks like the coin was Struck-Thru a piece of wood or metal! Can you post a pics of the Reverse or back of the coin as if there is no bulging on the Reverse, then it is truly a Struck-Thru coin. While it is hard to put a price on such an Error Coin without extensive research on similar errored coins that sold, I still believe that it could fetch anywhere from $20 to $100 depending upon the Collectors that view it and consider it unique! I would advise to soak the coin in Acetone for a few minutes or more to see if the black substance will come off. When removed from the Acetone, just rub it lightly with your' thumb or finger. Do not use a brush on it or clean in any other way. You don't want to really clean it, just get the black substance off it which deters from it's eye appeal.

Frank

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange also, is that part of the L and all of the I in Liberty are gone from the gouge, though the hairline is there. Hmmmmmm, then there is some sort of marking before the L in Liberty. Check it out and let me know what you think????

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was just some dirt. But the L and I are in the groove its just hard to see with a photo image.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tomfromnj; WARNING. ABSOLUTELY DO "NOT" put the coin in Acetone or rub it with your fingers either. :BangHead: You "WILL" :icon_pale: destroy any value the coin has because it will be considered a "cleaned" coin. What you do is to send it to PCGS or ANACS and have the coin Verified, Graded and Certified by the PREMIER Experts in the field. DO NOT "EVER" :dontknow: clean coins your not sure of ok. you will destroy them ok. For info on where to send it and the costs go to PCGS.COM or ANACS.COM ok. God, I hope you have not already done that cleaning. Let us know the results ok. PEACE:RONB :read2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not wish to nor will I get into a debate over the do's or don'ts about cleaning coins! Most everyone here knows that I am a staunch proponent of not cleaning coins which is evident from some of the arguments that have ensued on this issue and I have been a part of! However, I do believe that a light soaking in Acetone and a light rub with your' thumb or finger (if need be) to remove the black substance from the coin, does not constitute a true cleaning of the coin in the real sense. Since the black substance is either tar, dirty gum or other grime, the Acetone should remove it probably with no rubbing needed. If any light spotting is left behind in the areas where the black substance was removed, they should darken on their own with time. However, the coin believe or not can be placed into the ground for a few weeks or months and mother nature and the soil will do the rest. Once the coin is removed from the ground and the spots have darkened evenly with the rest of the patina on the coin, just rinse thoroughly with cold water and pat dry with a soft towel and it should be fine. Having collected and owned tens of thousands of coins and quite a few of them having unknown substances on them, I have tried just about every trick known and probably some unknown to man, some of them worked and some did not.

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, acetone won't hurt it as long as you don't get carried away rubbing the thing....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread