pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This one was in a bulk buy today from a flea market, any upside to the value considering the condition?

IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj, first of all, the 1889CC is THE KING of the Carson City silver dollars with only 350 thousand being minted, and if it is real is worth between $7000 to $8000 US. Please note however that this coin is heavily counterfeited, so must be professionally authenticated.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Fake probably magnetic, the CC is positioned slightly, ever so slightly wrong and the chinese metal stampers didn't do that good of a job at hiding any flaws. it of course is what is known 'round these parts as a "Chinese Counterfeit". really, for every real carson city coin, there are 10,000 chinese counterfiet. I says it once and i saysn it again, CC stands for Chinese Counterfeit plain & simple.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fake probably magnetic, the CC is positioned slightly, ever so slightly wrong and the chinese metal stampers didn't do that good of a job at hiding any flaws. it of course is what is known 'round these parts as a "Chinese Counterfeit". really, for every real carson city coin, there are 10,000 chinese counterfiet. I says it once and i saysn it again, CC stands for Chinese Counterfeit plain & simple.

Passed the magnetic test, my first thought also when I looked at the coins. Is there a site that would show the difference between the good and ugly?

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fake, I can tell just by looking at it.

The weight is 26.72gr. so that seems to be correct.

Can you help me out and tell me some of the obvious things that pop out for you or anyone that shows it's a fake?

I can't go back to the dude and just say it's a fake while his response would be "show me".

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
The weight is 26.72gr. so that seems to be correct.

Can you help me out and tell me some of the obvious things that pop out for you or anyone that shows it's a fake?

I can't go back to the dude and just say it's a fake while his response would be "show me".

I don't really have any reasoning behind it. The toning looks off, and it's just kind of a feel thing.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it just me but does the CC also appear to be a different style of lettering?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree wth the CC looking off and the toning- but honestly to find one of THE rarest Morgans in a bulk buy at a fleamarket that to me raises the red flag-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought fake Morgans off Ebay from China just ot see what the deal is with them....and whats funny about them , is they actually weigh the same as the real deal and are not magnetic. But if you get a REAL Morgan or Peace dollar and put it beside this coin... You should be able to slide a coin across the them both without any issues...But on the Fake Morgans, they are just slighlty thicker, and it will not allow you to do this....For your sake, I hope you got a good one, But as mentioned, its a very counterfieted coin, In fact i have about 5 of them that year and mint mark, I paid 2.50 a piece with free shipping

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bought fake Morgans off Ebay from China just ot see what the deal is with them....and whats funny about them , is they actually weigh the same as the real deal and are not magnetic. But if you get a REAL Morgan or Peace dollar and put it beside this coin... You should be able to slide a coin across the them both without any issues...But on the Fake Morgans, they are just slighlty thicker, and it will not allow you to do this....For your sake, I hope you got a good one, But as mentioned, its a very counterfieted coin, In fact i have about 5 of them that year and mint mark, I paid 2.50 a piece with free shipping

Isn't it illegal to knowingly buy counterfeit coinage?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't it illegal to knowingly buy counterfeit coinage?

No, it is illegal to knowingly sell a counterfeit coin without devulging to the buyer, that the coin is a counterfeit, fake or reproductions! To do otherwise, risks prosecution and a lengthy term in a Federal Prison.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Other than the Mintmark being off, most of the lettering on the coin is too thick and bulging. Also, that black colored ring just inside the denticles is not what you would see on a Morgan Silver Dollar! Dies cracks yes but not a black colored ring and this points toward the coin being something other than 90% Silver.

Frank

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Other than the Mintmark being off, most of the lettering on the coin is too thick and bulging. Also, that black colored ring just inside the denticles is not what you would see on a Morgan Silver Dollar! Dies cracks yes but not a black colored ring and this points toward the coin being something other than 90% Silver.

Frank

I bought a 1885 in the same grouping of coinage and silver. It looks the same and so does the other Canadian coinage almost oily or a greasy build up on the coinage. I'll bring them in to get checked out and see what's what, if bogus a return will be in order even though it was just bought for melt in mind.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only are they faking coins but they are faking PCJS cases and serial numbers. If it is worth money, the Chinese are faking it.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had purchased to that didn't even look half as good as that coin does. come to find out they one was brass and the other was zinc. i wish you luck...

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
My cousin bought a 1795 silver dollar for about 50¢ in Thailand (fake, doesn't even weigh half as much as it should lol) china's not the only ones. The guy had a lot of coins we assume to be fake too. Technically they could have come from china but it wouldnt surprise me if they were Thai.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
My cousin bought a 1795 silver dollar for about 50¢ in Thailand (fake, doesn't even weigh half as much as it should lol) china's not the only ones. The guy had a lot of coins we assume to be fake too. Technically they could have come from china but it wouldnt surprise me if they were Thai.

This is erroneous thinking; just because he bought it there does not mean it was manufactured there. The guy in Thailand gets them from China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions