Delaware Quarter - Finally...

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Had to pay for it but I feel like I got a good deal- especially compared to the E-bay prices on these things! Paid just a tad under a grand. I been hunting for this one coin since 2005 and it finally completes the set! State and Territories 1999-2009, all PF70 Ultra Cameos. I have not passed an NGC case without stopping to look and check- just to make sure- for the last 5 years or more! This was in a collectables and antiques shop. Not like they didn't know the value- or should have known anyway...
After I got them all out to admire the set- I found the California to be toned dang near black! Not sure what that does to the value of it- but I might better get another one of those just in case...
Anyway- I feel some sort of big relief to finally have the set complete! Now the kids with have one more dandy set to fight over or to pawn off when I die...
PEACE

Attachments

• Quarters PF70UC Delaware 2.jpg
    Quarters PF70UC Delaware 2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 154
  • Quarters PF70UC California tone.JPG
    Quarters PF70UC California tone.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Quarters PF70UC Whole set.JPG
    Quarters PF70UC Whole set.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 162

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin toned because the holders are not airtight and actually not very good storage devices at all. You should get a food grade tupperware and put your collection in that along with some silica packs to control the moisture, you won't regret it many years down the road.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Coinguy, The have been in a gun safe with a hotrod and several Silica cans. I kind of think the exposure happened before I got them. Because all five of that year have a little tone going on. Seem to recall reading that once toning starts- it can't be turned off without treatment. Would have expected the NGC slabs to be a little better than that... Apparently not...

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinguy, The have been in a gun safe with a hotrod and several Silica cans. I kind of think the exposure happened before I got them. Because all five of that year have a little tone going on. Seem to recall reading that once toning starts- it can't be turned off without treatment. Would have expected the NGC slabs to be a little better than that... Apparently not...

Although it cannot be turned off it can be slowed down enough that not even your children will notice it over your lifetimes. I could have been previous exposure but the real issue is preventing them from toning to what is considered terminal, are you storing your safe somewhere with temperature change?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost a grand ?

Well first Congratz, on completing your set , at first I was amazed someone would pay that much $ for a silver 1999 Quarter & before I started to criticize you I wanted to check my facts [so to speak]. 1st the Red book had no values for coins in proof70 cameo so I then checked my Grading coins by photographs book and found under availability section [ Statehood ,D.C., and Territorial Quarters] " MS-68 many issues are scarce, and higher grades scarcer yet" also "On some proofs over-polishing of dies has eliminated some details, as on part of the WC [ for William Cousins] initials on certain Delaware pieces" So I suppose "perfection has a high price" & as for the toning some like it but maybe not so much on a 21st century coin. Thanks I learn something new every day. Davers :thumbsup:

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Davers,
A lot of the "valuation" on these suckers are subjective. Sometimes it has nothing to do with rarity. For instance there were 11,608 attempts to grade a Delaware Qtr at PF70 by NGC- only 450 have made it- with 10,900 making only PF69. Probably won't be too many more 1999's submitted so that 450 is it- for the perfect proof sets. But there are 1,400-2,500 PF70's in the majority of the other state issues. Meaning at least 950 more sets out there will never be perfect and complete.
---however--- PF70 Cameo -Not Ultra- just cameo- is far more rare-- there are only 2. <--!!! But one just sold this week on ebay for $105.00. Completing that would truly be a RARE set but not necessarily valuable...
PEACE

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, a quick ? what is the difference in Ultra Cameo & just Cameo ? :is it something the Mint does with the dies or do some come out better than others.:icon_scratch: Thanks again DAVERS

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Ultra Cameo vs Cameo is just a degredation of the die over use/time.
The first batches of coins minted will be struck on brand new dies, freshly sandblasted in some areas and highly polished on the field areas. A proof coins is struck a couple times to create a deep and very defined edge. On the first few- a very highly mirrored background and a frosted raised image along with crisp edges- makes for an Ultra (or Deep) cameo. After some undefined amount of time and use- the image, mirror, and edges become a little less detailed and eventually a professional coin grader decides he's seeing Cameo... (the grade number 70, 69, etc. and the PF vs MS are different criteria all together.)

What bothers me is that since the late 1990's- the mint and the coin grading services have come to the shared agreement that more types and more designations are needed to sell more stuff. They keep coming up with new "products" to stimulate new sales. I.E. Early releases, new releases, reverse cameos, dozens of different labels for the same coins, etc... I'd bet that's most of the motivation to change the face of the coins in the first place...

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
first of all, nice collection.

Now the kids with have one more dandy set to fight over or to pawn off when I die...
PEACE

they're going to split it up and ruin the value of it being a whole collection. How about you give it to me now, so you don't need to worry about what happens to it after you die?

You might say, fifty, but what are you going to do with them when you die? well, I'll tell you what I'd do with them. I'd have them encased in my bulletproof acrylic tombstone.

EDIT 9/7/13 just received the coins in the mail. A+ shape, thanks a lot. If I die before you, I'll make sure you get word of it so you can visit your coins at my "stone".

Last edited:

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you want to get crazy on preserving them to prevent any further toning vacuum seal the whole set in an aluminized mylar bag with some silica dessicants and oxygen absorbers, foodsavers work great for coins and ammo preservation, not so great for food

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
if you want to get crazy on preserving them to prevent any further toning vacuum seal the whole set in an aluminized mylar bag with some silica dessicants and oxygen absorbers, foodsavers work great for coins and ammo preservation, not so great for food

will do, thanks.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Fiddy- All those NIFC's you traded me for them are going like hotcakes on ebay... I mighta got the better of the trade!
PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions