1914-D Buffalo restoration question / help?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I recently saw some information on 'nic-a-date', which is supposed to make the dates on some unreadable buffalo's readable again. I'm sure it destroy's the coin in the process, but as an unreadable Buffalo there's really no value to begin with. So I ordered a bottle thinking it would be neat to date some undated Buff's. My bottle came in yesterday. On the way home today I stopped at my LCS and bought 10 dateless Buff's for $1. Got home, with the kids we started finding dates, it was pretty cool. Here's the dilemma, one of the nickels is a 1914-D!!!! Obviously this is a great Buffalo date. My question is this, what do I do now? I saw on line where a guy 'restores' Buffalo's, I assume by basically spreading the 'nic-a-date' all over the coin or something, I don't know. I'm not trying to make money here but does anyone have any thoughts on what my options are or what they'd do next in my situation?

Thanks,
Twitch

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no help here but thats pretty cool find there-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do anything to the coin it will lower the value. If you can tell what it is I would not mess with it. Find the worst coin and try the stuff on it to see what happens to it. It would be neat to take photos of the process from start to finish.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
If you do anything to the coin it will lower the value. If you can tell what it is I would not mess with it. Find the worst coin and try the stuff on it to see what happens to it. It would be neat to take photos of the process from start to finish.

Yeah that's a good idea. Once I figure out how to use the date restorer stuff I may take a shot at it. The date was completely unreadable until I used the date restorer stuff on it so I'm not too worried about destroying the $0.10 in value.

I'll go buy a handful of dateless Buffalos and play with them a little bit.

Thanks.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Restored Buffalos on eBay sometimes bring a goo price tag. If you do sell it, just mention it has a restored date
Pretty neat to bring a 1914 D back to life

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Restored Buffalos on eBay sometimes bring a goo price tag. If you do sell it, just mention it has a restored date
Pretty neat to bring a 1914 D back to life

A restored date buffalo is not worth 1/20 of an original, problem-free coin. Even very rare coins like a 1918/7 d with restored dates sell for very little. Would you buy one yourself? Bottom line: No one buys restored date coins. If you were lucky enough to get a date with nic-a-date, I'd try to sell it as is. Anything else you do to it will only lower its value.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm not really interested in the value. I just think it's neat that they can do it. I'm going to get 3 or 4 together and send them off to the restorer guy just for fun.

Appreciate all the input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread