39.8 KB · Views: 126

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I second just the bullion. Although as a silver dollar I'd only spend close to $20 on it.

Not a big fan of modern US coins, although of course if you are feel free to spend more on it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be cautious also on were was it made ?

allot of Genuine silver Commemoratives are Genuine rip offs
with a thin layer of silver on top

beware "American Mint" :(

vs. "U.S. Mint"

looks like they are real

90% Silver dollars, not 1oz. Rounds

so melt is actually $18.31 right now

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like modern commemoratives but do not want to spend wildly on them. I know an amateur coin dealer that sells them to me for $25 each from time to time. Not a fantastic price, but fair enough. I'd much rather find old commemoratives at a decent price, but oh well.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I will pay up to $20 for it depending on how much they will take.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the COA, the 2002 West Point Commemorative Silver Dollar is supposed to be a Proof. However, from the pics which I know can be deceiving, the coin appears to be a Mint State 2002 West Point Commemorative Silver Dollar which is Silver and Clad Mint State coin and not a Proof. If the commemorative coin is in fact a DCAM Silver Proof, then it is worth between $30 and $35 based on eBay, PCGS' Price Guide and Numismedia's (NGC's) Price Guide. It is doubtful that you could get a the coin in a DCAM Silver Proof with box and COA for $20 but maybe $25! Whatever you pay, just make sure that it is not a Mint State Sliver/Clad that has been placed in a DCAM Silver Proof box.

Frank

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
According to the COA, the 2002 West Point Commemorative Silver Dollar is supposed to be a Proof. However, from the pics which I know can be deceiving, the coin appears to be a Mint State 2002 West Point Commemorative Silver Dollar which is Silver and Clad Mint State coin and not a Proof. If the commemorative coin is in fact a DCAM Silver Proof, then it is worth between $30 and $35 based on eBay, PCGS' Price Guide and Numismedia's (NGC's) Price Guide. It is doubtful that you could get a the coin in a DCAM Silver Proof with box and COA for $20 but maybe $25! Whatever you pay, just make sure that it is not a Mint State Sliver/Clad that has been placed in a DCAM Silver Proof box.

Frank

The Proof strike doesn't change the planchet. Whether it is a Proof or an uncirculated strike, it will still be a 90% silver dollar. The original packaging is missing and the airtite has just been placed in a generic case. The COA states a proof, but the coin doesn't look like a proof strike. So at this point you are only buying a 90% silver dollar. Modern commems are backwards in market value. When they are first released, most collectors opt for the proof strike. Consequently, the uncirculated strike typically has a lower mintage due to the lower sales. Generally in subsequent years, the proof strike doesn't hold up the value on the secondary market due to a larger supply. There are exceptions to this generalization.

In this case, I would offer $25.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread