Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nectar

Greenie
Sep 5, 2013
Penn Yan, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the states ran out, then the US territories began...Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Washington DC (I might be forgetting others). Anyway, the US Mint didn't make as many of these as the state quarters due to a glut in the market, so to speak, after ramping up production of the 50 state quarters. In the few years they've been out, I've only seen a handful (And save every one I can).

Likewise, the mint then started the "America the Beautiful" series, highlighting national parks in each state. Again, production is cut back from the numbers of 50 state quarters released, so there aren't a lot out there.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samoa is another is territory coin- and I think there might be a couple more

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen the 51'st state - Puerto Rico- Quarter yet? Since when is PR a state?
In some change I got back today there was one of these 'quarter dollars'? They are clad. My camera craped out on me so no pic's. sorry

No! I haven't seen Puerto Rico added to the union lately, but we might as well add Mexico while were at it.

Sep 19, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone seen the 51'st state - Puerto Rico- Quarter yet? Since when is PR a state?
In some change I got back today there was one of these 'quarter dollars'? They are clad. My camera craped out on me so no pic's. sorry
You can travel there without a passport, so yep, it's part of the US, along with American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands.

We also have the following uninhabited territories: Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Navassa Island, Palmyra Atoll, and Wake Island.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

People are confusing the old territory coin with the new state coin:

PR.png

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/-puerto-rico-becomes-51st-state/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/obama-to-sign-on-new-statehood
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/polit...ram-to-51-costs-taxpayers-billions/index.html

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went on vacation to Puerto Rico they were in my change all the time. I'd save the really almost uncirculated ones. The US must flood them in there. Kinda funny

OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies, I was not aware of the minting of coins for the territories and protectorates - 1'st one I have come across. I have gotten a few of the national parks coins- but not all of them yet. HH

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Puerto Ricans are American citizens...but also citizens of Puerto Rico. Kinda like (but not the same as) Native Americans are members of a sovereign nation...their tribe and reservation...but also American citizens and citizens of the state that they are in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread