Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this about 40 years ago and the only reference I could find was one coin book I had listed it, 1944 no mint mark--counterfeit. So the other day I was reading an article about treasure tales in of all places, New Jersey, and all my questions were answered. In 1954 a guy named Francis Leroy Henning, who had been busted for counterfeit $5 bills, decided to counterfeit nickels so as not to attract too much attention. He would pose as a vending machine operator and take them in rolls to banks to swap for bills. Probably about 100,000 of them reached circulation and Henning dumped about 400,000 just before he was caught. The feds recovered about 14,000 of these. Not worth a whole lot but kinda cool. Sorry about the pic quality but I'm still figurin out my macro lens. You can get the idea though. The mint mark is missing and it has the looped R in 'pluribus' on the reverse. And hopefully the Secret Service doesn't decide to make an example of me for a fake nickel.

Attachments

• 9-29y.jpg
    9-29y.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 9-29z.jpg
    9-29z.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 217

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It's worth about $50, and is about 79.1% Copper, 20.5% Nickel, 0.4% Iron.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thanks for the history lesson! very cool

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I too read the same story a few times. Cool!

airplane15

Greenie
Sep 24, 2013
I found this about 40 years ago and the only reference I could find was one coin book I had listed it, 1944 no mint mark--counterfeit. So the other day I was reading an article about treasure tales in of all places, New Jersey, and all my questions were answered. In 1954 a guy named Francis Leroy Henning, who had been busted for counterfeit $5 bills, decided to counterfeit nickels so as not to attract too much attention. He would pose as a vending machine operator and take them in rolls to banks to swap for bills. Probably about 100,000 of them reached circulation and Henning dumped about 400,000 just before he was caught. The feds recovered about 14,000 of these. Not worth a whole lot but kinda cool. Sorry about the pic quality but I'm still figurin out my macro lens. You can get the idea though. The mint mark is missing and it has the looped R in 'pluribus' on the reverse. And hopefully the Secret Service doesn't decide to make an example of me for a fake nickel.

Awesome find great story too. Yeah they might confiscate that nickel to help pay for Obama care lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread