Grading Special Issue Coins

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inherited an uncirculated 1882 CC Morgan a few years ago. It was issued with an informative insert dated 1972 from the US Gov and has a serial #. The coin is in a hard plastic sealed container. My question is, does this stand on it's own grade wise or would a person do better to have it graded by NGC/PCGS? Not sure I will ever sell it, but it has crossed my mind more than once.

Thanks for any input on this.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you have one of the GSA sale dollars. You can send it to NGC to be graded and they will now leave it in the original holder, if you wish (GSA Morgan Dollars). The 1882-CC was one of the more common dates in the sale, with 605,029 coins available. As it is in the government holder, it doesn't have a numerical grade (MS-65, MS-66, etc.), it just says "Uncirculated", which was as far as grading went in 1972. If you think it will grade higher than MS-65, it would probably be worth sending it in. Good luck!

Scott

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that would be one of those. Thanks for the link, was interesting and helpful! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread